Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1641 - 1660 of 2414 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,642
I'm talking from a home made fabrication fixer upper point of view ;)

Great use of parts lying around

Go Green!
For 20$ I really couldn't go wrong. The housing even sits level with a stock R160 in terms of ground clearance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,643 (Edited)
Got the rear subframe back in and the car back rolling. More goodies should arrive later this week.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,645
Looks good man, I really have to take some time and really read through the thread

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
It's quite the journey if you go back to.my first swap. I wouldn't forget the popcorn.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,647 (Edited)
My steering wheel showed up late last week.

I had a large internal debate on whether or not I was going to go suede or leather. I decided on leather because it contrast nicely with the cars more functional aspects.

Adapting my quick release to the wheel was straight forward, utilizing a essentially a scaled down version of your typical wheel spacer. The male side of the quick release is welded to .75" .120 wall tubing which I hammered over the stock steering shaft splines and then welded as well. The column mount idea I stole from my professors 25.1 chassis. It exceeds the SFI requirements being a collapsible column. I just need to find someone with a 3D printer to make me a bottom column bushing and I'll be happy with this portion of the steering.

Extending the u-joint shaft was as easy as it was the last time I did it

It was raining or else I would have pulled it out and got better pictures of it together.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,651
i like the wheel. althouh a four spoke would feel better in the hands.
I've always adored 3 spoke wheels. To me they give the car a really old school racey feel. This combined the class that I wanted along with the raciness without looking like the Bros with the stupid deep offset wheels.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
yeah, agree with the deep offset ***gotry.

i suppose its in how i learned to drive. all the cars ive owned have had 4spoke wheels. so my hand naturally rests in the bottom left slot with elbow on the door card. or hand on the bottom and arm on the leg. driving a three spoke i get all weird with where to put my hands. makes it uncomfortable.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,653
yeah, agree with the deep offset ***gotry.

i suppose its in how i learned to drive. all the cars ive owned have had 4spoke wheels. so my hand naturally rests in the bottom left slot with elbow on the door card. or hand on the bottom and arm on the leg. driving a three spoke i get all weird with where to put my hands. makes it uncomfortable.

Yeah I totally see what you're saying. I've got a strategically placed cage bar for all the arm support I need.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,656
Stopped raining long enough to drag it out of the garage.

Close up of the two mounts

It compliments the seat nicely

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,658
I could never drive that thing lol

Haha I prefer a really close proximity to the wheel. I based the relative steering position in the car on measurements I took from my daily. The steering wheel is a mere 17 inches from shoulders.

·
Registered
99' WRB GC8 WRX - TooLazy
1,375 Posts
Haha I prefer a really close proximity to the wheel. I based the relative steering position in the car on measurements I took from my daily. The steering wheel is a mere 17 inches from shoulders.
Actually, looking at it better, the steering wheel position seems pretty nice. Still kinda hard to realise, could be the angles but it looks like I would never be able to see over the hood nor reach the pedals (atleast if the were stock location). I'm rather short I guess lol

Edit: Definetaly not just the angles, seat is super far back haha

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,660
Actually, looking at it better, the steering wheel position seems pretty nice. Still kinda hard to realise, could be the angles but it looks like I would never be able to see over the hood nor reach the pedals (atleast if the were stock location). I'm rather short I guess lol

Yeah I'd say anyone under 5'9"ish would have a very hard time seeing over the dash. I'm having the pedal box move forward and back and inch or two if for some odd reason that I'm incapacitated and need someone to drive the car.

1641 - 1660 of 2414 Posts