Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1601 - 1620 of 2414 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,602
i had my corbeau's welded to the floor in my z31. was funny watching other people try to drive the car. especially those that were shorter than me. :lol:
I'm 6'1" and pretty much sit all the way back to the main hoop. I like a close steering wheel so shorter drivers might be alright haha.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,604
You could make your own mounting points with 2-3 holes for adjustment while still being solid mounted, if you wanna be fancy schmancy
I'll probably end up doing something similar to this.

Now that I knew the relative location of where my seat brackets will land it was time to prepare for the tunnel.

Once up in the air I could move around comfortably inside. I cleaned up the remains of the original tunnel.

The area where my tubes were to join the body was on the small side to be a structural member. After a bit of thinking I came up with this.

A torque box of sorts. It distributes the load of the tunnel tubes across a much larger surface area and ties into the rear seat cross member that goes from rocker to rocker.

Then I dropped the tubes into place.

On top of seat mounts, I'll be able to integrate a driveshaft loop and have a solid foundation for the new floor and sheet metal tunnel.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,606
Now that the tunnel tubes were in place I could start the seat mounts. I opted for a roughly 10 degree lay back which was where I set all my seats according to my angle finder. I ditched my idea for a one piece mount after seeing that the mounting locations on the seat don't sit on the same plane.

I added a seat tube below the rockers side of the seat to bridge the gap.

There's still about an inch gap between the seat and main hoop X in the event that it ever collapsed and deflected towards me.

I've also got about 8 inches between my head and the nearest cage tube. If I hit my head on a roof tube I'll be dead already from my neck stretching that far.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,608
If i were you i would triangulate those 2 braces you having running to that plate to hit your main hoop boxing plates.
Do you think they'd see that much side load to deflect the 1/8th inch plate?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Add bracing. That much power on the launch will flex that plate enough. Can you send me a pic from underneath behind the plate. Ill draw something up tonight for you.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,614
Add bracing. That much power on the launch will flex that plate enough. Can you send me a pic from underneath behind the plate. Ill draw something up tonight for you.
I'm open to any and all suggestions!

My car went through 14 New England winters so it had its fair share of rust. The whole floor outlined in red is being cut out as well. The unibody frame rails are what the transmission mount bridges.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,615
And the second seat is in. Alot less of a pain this time around being that I only had to mirror the driver side. It's definitely not a one person job trying to level and position the seat correctly.

The rest of floor is coming out next.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,618
Sweet. Had some delays, you know, caging M3's and Evo 10

My cage takes off after the holiday. I'll update my thread over break
Hire me ?.... Looking forward to the updates.

Havent forgotten about you. Been tied over ttying to get 60 hours in a 4 day week. I shoot you a pm later today
All good, Im 900 miles from the car at the moment. Really curious to see what you come up with.

1601 - 1620 of 2414 Posts