Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1581 - 1600 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,581
A bit of an update for you guys. I finished up welding the gussets in the car today. I still have a main hoop gusset and rear X gusset to add but that's after the tunnel is in place. My mig skills are slowly growing so the gussets came out pretty decent.

After sitting in a set of bride low maxes I tossed the kirkey idea right out of the window. The kirkey fits me better shoulder wise but everywhere else the Bride is so much nicer. Im getting a stellar deal because I'm getting my roomate some recaros on the same order. I'm getting the Bride vios 3 low max.

Im not 100% on the steering wheel but I really like sabelts line up. Matching harnesses would be sweet.

The 240's cage is also done. I'm just waiting on payment and pickup so I can snag my seats.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,583 (Edited)
You should be pulse welding those to make them pretty! That's going to get you more jobs in the bank ;)
Haha on a customer's car for sure. If I was welding the s13's cage I'd tig everything. It's cheaper gas wise to just mig the gussets on my own stuff.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,585
It's still MIG, takes longer, but looks amazing. Then when people look at your car and you say I can do that for you... $$$

Continuous welding is the same, just looks meh on the pretty factor

Keep it up

;)
Hmm I'm not familiar with pulse MIG welding. I've only heard of the pulse feature on my TIG.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,587
Basically you make a single weld circle at a time, over lapping, just like all the pretty welding pics, versus holding the trigger down the whole time.

bzzt bzzt bzzt bzzt bzzt
cccccccco

terrible drawing :lol:
I understand. I'll have to give that a shot. Pretty much overlapping tacks while still keeping the puddle hot.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,589
Installed the rear X in my car today. I snapped yet another pinion gear on my notching drill. I welded it back together and it snapped below the weld a few notches later. I don't think I post flowed it enough and it become brittle.

I start out with friendship bracelet string to get my notching angles spot on.

Some close ups from today's spotlight

*Inserts stereotypical leaves in the driveway fall picture

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,592
Now that the rear X is in place it can be gusseted. After my first go around with gussets I decided I needed a better way to fold them around the radius of the tube. About 15 minutes of looting through my scrap pile I came up with this.

It's rather simple. Just some cinder blocks sandwiched between the garage door frame and a scissor jack to compress the "die".

I was pretty sure it was a galvanized piece of tubing which was why it welded so terribly. I stuck a magnet to it a short while later and it turned out to be aluminum. I'm pretty surprised it actually held.

It worked pretty well once you got past the initial bend.

And ended up with this. I still have to weld it but I've got to refill the mig bottle. And I've got another job tomorrow.

I also finished up a customer's tube front for his s13 coupe over the weekend.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,597 (Edited)
Goodies arrived today. Time to test fit for the tunnel.

Edit: The initial test fit was eye opening. The seat bases sit wider than stock but I didn't think they would be this wide. No big deal, just have to change the tunnel around a bit. It won't be as obtrusive into the cabin now that's for sure.

And now for the dessert. I've got about 7 inches of head clearance with the seat on the floor. Assuming I halve that I'll still have plenty of room with and without a helmet.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,599
Using sliders?
Nope, both will be solid mounted. I've never read anything good about the integrity of sliders nor do I want the added height. The passenger will be mounted in an acceptable range for passengers height in mind and mine will obviously catered to my preferred lay back and placement.

In the event of someone else driving the car I'm going to have the pedal box move forward and back a few inches to compensate for shorter drivers. This won't be a frequent issue so I'm not worried about the lack of adjustment.

1581 - 1600 of 2411 Posts