Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1521 - 1540 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,522
Thanks!

No not driven yet. Not sure if I will hear back from the owner, this is for another shop's client.
Ahh I see. If you happen to hearif it works, be sure to post.

Tacked in base plates for the rear extending bars of the cage. They look small in the pictures but meet the 12 square inch requirement of the WRC handbook. I also took care of some would-be rust on the strut tower seams and C pillar seams.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,524
Are you going to plate the top of the strut tower back there? If so, move those up to butt up against the top more, make it all solid.
I was thinking about plating the tops. I haven't decided whether or not it's worth keeping the parcel shelf or not. If I plate the tops I'll hang it over to cover the seam at the top.

Got the upper rear stays in today.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,526
dont grind the plates on an angle like that. Welds should be from 30° to 90°, your at like 135° and adding extra work
Good to know. I'm picking up some thinner 11 gauge sheet for the rest of my base plates and some 16 gauge for cage gussets.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,528
Finished up the two lower strut tower bars.

The notches that meet the main hoop were particularly tricky to do.

But it all came together well.

I scooped my gusset material as well from a local supplier.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,531
In order to weld the rear stays they had to be removed from the car. It was nice to weld something without mimicking a gymnast.

While they were out it was much easier to weld the strut plates in.

And all tacked back in, ready to be welded.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,532
Welded in the rear stays for good today. The majority of the welding I had to use my left hand for which was a nice challenge.

And the two prettiest of my left hand.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,534
Making me excited for my next cage :D
You and me both. There's a kid that goes to my school that wants one for his s13 as soon as I finish up mine. It's going to be nice taking what I've learned from this one and carrying it on to the next.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,536
by the time youve done a couple three of them, youre going to want to rip this one out and do it over.
I was thinking the same thing unfortunately. I'm extremely happy with it currently and it should be more than sufficient for phase one.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,539
But where will you sit? :lol:

Great job on the cage, true modding comes after you've officially totaled the car!
I'm going to be doing a tunnel out of tubing. That and the rockers once plated will perfect for seat mounts.

I set out the other day to install the rear strut brace and plates. I cut out the plates and marked where I wanted the tubes to sit.

I went to test fit the plates and low and behold the factory rear strut brace and parcel self prevented the plates from sitting at the top of the tower. At this point I'm left with little choice but to make room or mount the brace lower. Those that follow along have probably already predicted my decision. 30 or so spot welds later.

Some much room for activities.

Close to 15 pounds of sheet metal gone. I got the plates tacked in. I pre bent them on the bench to contour the tower.

I'll weld it all up tomorrow.

1521 - 1540 of 2411 Posts