Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1501 - 1520 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Generally all you need to do it hit a part of the bend and not directly in the middle of it. The cage still needs to be designed with compression in mind when impacted. Even with your diagnol brace there you will be fine

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,505
i learned something today.
Me too! Although every time I work on this thing it's something new.

Generally all you need to do it hit a part of the bend and not directly in the middle of it. The cage still needs to be designed with compression in mind when impacted. Even with your diagnol brace there you will be fine
Good to know. I've been trying to balance a few different cage styles into one to get the safest possible outcome.

The kicker in the middle between the two points makes a good brace as well.
Kicker?

I pulled it out of the garage to get some decent quality photos just for Terry. 😘

Got the rest of the main hoop X finished up. It seems to complete the cage. I'm pretty stoked to be on the downward part of the battle.

Some minty gaps

I can't resist a whole body shot when she rolls out of the garage.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,508
The bar going from the hoop to the rear strut tower plate.

Hey I just came up with a sweet way to mount our sunroof panals with a cage, and make it removable. Ill post up pics soon.
I was going to use a plate that fit into the sunroof hole and Zeus clip it in like a sprint car body. I'd be curious to see your plans.

coming along nicely.
Thanks Brian!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,511
Caged up!! Always best when you step back and feel proud of the hard work that's been poured into it. You should definitely be proud, looks great!
I am for sure! All the hard work pays off when it starts coming out good.

I took pics, I will post a write up today or tomorrow and link here :D

Seriously 20 minutes of work
Looking forward to it.

Welded up the main hoop X today. I'm quite happy with the results.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,514
Welding the cage to the base plates was probably my least favorite thing so far. They're not my prettiest weld but I ran it rather hot and penetrated well. Next cage I'm moving the door bars about 2 inches higher to make this portion of welding easier.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,232 Posts
The problem is the order you went. That is also why the cage does not sit pretty in the middle.

Bend hoop, fit X and harness bar off the car.

Make the boxes for front and rear. Weld them together outside the car.

Tack boxes in car, tack hoop to plates in middle on top of boxes.

Makes A-pillar bars to front boxes (also tacked in) & then roof spreader bar

Top V or single Diagonal. DONE

Weld as much as you can, brake tacks off boxes, and the boxes themselves from the car, drop cage and weld the rest.

You know the rest, boxes back, weld in, weld cage to boxes. Then rear kickers to strut towers, Diagonal or x back there if you want, etc.

Yes there are many ways to make a cage, this is how I was taught. I may be missing a point or two, but you get the general idea.

This will keep the cage from flexing and keep fitment tight as it should be in the car.

Disclaimer:

This is the internet and my .02 :D

PS - This is still a bad ass sweet ****ing cage ;)

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,517
Duly noted. I took a screenshot of your post to use as reference on my next one. It's been quite the learning experience so far that's for sure.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to read through your journal tonight.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,520
1501 - 1520 of 2411 Posts