Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1481 - 1500 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,482
Gotcha, that's what I thought.

Did you see the unit Rem picked up in his build?
Funny you say that. His journal was where I got the idea from.

After grinding down the remaining protective coating, I spread the main hoop legs so I could slide the whole cage back.

And then started back up with welding. I ended early tonight because of frustration. Took me a bit to get back into the groove but tomorrow is a new day.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,486
Glad you know who I meant lol
His build is one of the many on here I draw inspiration from.

Made some serious head wind today. Two and a quarter junctions left and that will complete the door portion of the welding.

A few of my favorites from today.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,494
Looks great. Building the cage looks like a good time.
It's quite the challenge. I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Helps to put the diagonal / x into the main hoop to keep it from flexing much when welding the rest. Then A pillars, doors, kickers and x if wanted in the kickers :)
Yeah the X definitely would have kept the flex to a minimumup front when I was welding it. I'll keep it in mind for my next one!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,495
So before I got started with the main hoop X I figured I better weld in the base plates while I can still move the cage around. For a mediocre mig welder I'm quite satisfied with how the fronts came out.

Some close ups

Covered up the rear holes I dropped the cage through

And ended the night with tacking together my rear base plates.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,500
why doesnt the bar go into the middle of the bend? stronger as it is?
Ease of welding and fitment on my part. Putting it directly into the bend would have been a tricky double sided notch and would have made welding the top portion of the tube even more difficult than where it sits now.

I was curious about the relative strength of the X being placed where I put it, and the rally America handbook puts it in the same place. I'm assuming it's a compromise between a roll over and a heavy side impact.

1481 - 1500 of 2411 Posts