Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1421 - 1440 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,421
All 16 junctions are complete. Pretty happy with how they all came out. A few boogers here and there but for the first round I'm satisfied. Now begins the issue of welding door bars.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,422
Pulled it outside to put the drivers door on so I can start on the door bars.

Keeping to the street car theme, I'm keeping power windows and power locks. The lower half of the doorcard is directly in the way of where an X would go, so I am going to use stock upper cards, and make fiberglass bottom cards. Still looking at options on where to mount the window switches and locks.

Finally figured out why my front speakers never worked. Previous owners superb wiring job. Its a shame because they're pretty decent apline speakers. Not to mention that they weren't screwed in. Only the nasty inner plastic that melted was holding the speaker in place.

[/IMG]

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
you should rock it doorless. less weight, more faster.

for the window switches, maybe find a way to mount/move them to the blanks section where the cruise/alarm/foggies buttons go.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,854 Posts
another option is to fab somethinglike the cf door cards have..

basically just make a little tinny area to jut out somewhere where the door bar gives to a small space.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,425
^Making them one piece out of fiberglass woukd look pretty good. Carbons probably out of the question with no autoclave, but i definitely like the clean look a one piece door card gives.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
you should rock it doorless. less weight, more faster.

for the window switches, maybe find a way to mount/move them to the blanks section where the cruise/alarm/foggies buttons go.
Regular doors don't weigh 157 pounds like your brian

The power window controls are crazy complicated, it would take like 100 switches to replace the door switch

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,428
maybe just a flat piece of aluminum for the door card bottom half? momentary toggle switches mounted on em for windows?
I'd be fine with aluminum if there were other ways besides rivets to mount them. I can't stand exposed rivets.

Regular doors don't weigh 157 pounds like your brian

The power window controls are crazy complicated, it would take like 100 switches to replace the door switch
Shouldn't be an issue utilizing most of the stock harness for the doors to keep it working like factory.

Started the door X today after class.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,429
Duplicated the first part of the door X over to the passenger side.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,431
Remind me again why the jack and pipe are in there. If that's your seat, you need more meet & potatoes

And my front door cards look like this

Nah I'm paranoid something is going to twist or move when I roll the car. Im going to pull it out when I have more than tacks holding the cage to the floor.

I couldn't run old style cards like that. The grab handle would protrude into the door bar.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,437
The plastic looks good. I'd wrap it in carbon or something so you cant see the inside of the door.

Got the small side of the other half of the X done today

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,439
I want to have a gnarly cage in my car and looking through your pics doesn't help!
Haha it's dream come true as I build it for sure.

Today's theme was broken equipment. It started with a stripped notcher adjustment bolt.

And then went through two hole saw blades to get a single notch done.

After that was all said and done, I got the door X completed on the drivers side.

1421 - 1440 of 2411 Posts