Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1401 - 1420 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,405
Yepp, the a,b, and c pillars will all be complimented with dimple gussets. Any tubes that join on the door bars will get something similar as well.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,406
Roof halo is in. I got halfway through notching it before my notcher claimed its third drill. Every single one was caused by a stripped sun gear so I shopped around and picked up a new 1/2" drill with a metal case girdle to hopefully cushion the wear and tear a bit.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
sorry ted, but i dont care for that last piece. I think a straight piece tied in at the bend would have been more rigid. Being bent like that will let it collapse on a side impact. Just my opinion anyway, throwing it out there

edit: Or are you adding in another pipe like here?

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,409
I'll be adding those two extra tubes pictured. Not sure what they're called other than "fia bars". I was hesitant to have the bends but the SCCA/NASA/FIA rule books are all fine with it as long as the extra tubea are added.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,411
So i screwed up my first section of tubing today. Instead of notching the small side of the angle I notched the big side on accident leaving me with a 60° notch instead of the 30° I was after. Thankfully it was only 26" worth of tubing and I can just repurpose it elsewhere. After the mishap, I straightened out my angles and got the roof triangle tacked into place.

Oh so tight fitment after correctly notching them.

Also for those that actually read what I write the Eastwood notcher is not capable of making a complete 60° notch on 1.75" tube without biting into the saddle.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,415
A-pillar to main hoop supports are in. Time to drop it through the floor and weld up the roof portion if the cage.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,416
All the mig tacks are ground down, and remaining corrosion protection has been removed from the necessary areas. Welding begins tomorrow.

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
Looking good!
Good luck welding in all this heat. maybe worth waiting till Thursday when it cools off in the Great Lakes area.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,418
Looking good!
Good luck welding in all this heat. maybe worth waiting till Thursday when it cools off in the Great Lakes area.
My garage is situated under a decent size tree, but even with the added shade it gets searing hot inside. There's 16 total junctions that I need to weld so I'll probably split it up into two or three days of welding.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,420
5 more junctions done today, had a piece of filler gas mask me today as it melted through my helmet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1401 - 1420 of 2411 Posts