Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1221 - 1240 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,221
Your welcome.

I'm going to try and steer you away from going with SVX rear hubs as they are notorious for eating wheel bearings.

STI hubs are more plentiful as are parts.
Part of me is regretting buying the SVX already. Parts are expensive and rare. What a pita.
Is the bearing themselves the problem or is the knuckles the issue? The plan is to run DSS STI hubs and bearings.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,223
thevold ball bearing bearings subaru used were the issue. once replaced with tapered roller bearings its better.
That's what I wanted to hear.

Small update: tie rods showed up early so I got the old ones off and the new ones situated.

Took out the L dash beam and replaced it with the rs beam so I could bolt up my column.

Encountered my first problem with my lower engine placement. The steering joint comes up a slight bit short. Going to cut it at the welds and replace it with some extended one inch tubing.

And the differential fits snug and out of the way. The housing is to heavy to put in by myself so the cover will suffice for your viewing pleasure.

Filling up my argon Monday before class, and hopefully this guy with hubs gets back to me.

·
Registered
Bugeye Sedan
50 Posts
thevold ball bearing bearings subaru used were the issue. once replaced with tapered roller bearings its better.
This is true.
So if you get a set of used hubs either make sure they've been replaced or do it before you put them on the car.

I dont even think you can buy ball bearing style anymore which is good. Aftermarkets like Timken only sell them in tapered.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,225
Picked up my argon this morning

And did some welding

Plan is to use stock steering rack mounts but I want stock style clamp mounts machined. The stock ones aren't beefy enough.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,226
@aesthetic I can't find your last post or my last post for some reason. But in regards to the gussets this is what I had in mind.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,227
Steering rack mounted with oem hardware.

All that's left is the column extension

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
@aesthetic I can't find your last post or my last post for some reason. But in regards to the gussets this is what I had in mind.

ah yeah, that looks good, something like the guessets on the inside of the diff mount is what i was thinking - just anything to beef it up - cause that things gonna see a lot of torque

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,231
All work is done at my house, the dorms wouldn't have liked this kind of stuff.

Extended the steering joint today. Definitely want to make some tie rod spacers to help with future bump steer.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,233 (Edited)
I'm a little concerned about you steering rack to ground clearance.
Me too. It's going to be the lowest point up front thanks to a dry sump pan. Won't be Able to tell until the car is on the ground.

And to help with the angle something like you pictured or extend the shank of the rod end like this:

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,236
Decided to solve an old issue the car had from when I was in highschool. One of the rear subframe nuts had broken off inside the frame rail. Long story short, I cut the rear frame open to gain access to the nut and fixed the trunk portion from a previous repair.

Just waiting on people to stop flaking so I can get knuckles.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,237
06 sti rear knuckles shipping out Monday. Going to order ISC bottom coilover mounts as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
577 Posts
Ugh.

Why the **** isn't this done yet?

Jeebus. It's not like you're fabbing anything or doing any real work. You just plop the motor in there and it's all good. It's like 4 bolts - 5 tops. Our frames and suspension can handle 15,000,000wtq, no need to build new ones.

All I'm saying is this should be done already, and your chopping up a show-room condition RS should make you feel bad.

-TC

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,239
Ugh.

Why the **** isn't this done yet?

Jeebus. It's not like you're fabbing anything or doing any real work. You just plop the motor in there and it's all good. It's like 4 bolts - 5 tops. Our frames and suspension can handle 15,000,000wtq, no need to build new ones.

All I'm saying is this should be done already, and your chopping up a show-room condition RS should make you feel bad.

-TC
Thanks for the kind words! It wasn't showroom clean but it was definitely hard chopping up something with as much sentimental value as it has.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
577 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! It wasn't showroom clean but it was definitely hard chopping up something with as much sentimental value as it has.

Haha, I was partly joking - no love for the sedans around here.

Killer build. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

-TC

1221 - 1240 of 2411 Posts