Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1201 - 1220 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,201
Rear tube of the subframe is cut and notched. Mehh quality photo thanks to my shoddy garage lights.

And my 1.5" notcher lost all its teeth. Time for another.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,207
what you planning for the flange side
Honestly haven't decided on the front mount. Probably a similar tube across but I haven't incorporated in the mount yet. The snout is staying rubber bushing though.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,778 Posts
Dem tabs should be fully boxed. Back in my mud truck days I used to use square tube that was notched to fit the axle tube or suspension link.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,209
Gussets added. Don't mind the points, I'm going to contour them along the radius of the tube when I finish weld them. Now I'm waiting on finding hubs so I can sort my lateral link spacing and mounts.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,211
I haven't looked around for them. I figured they would be just as hard to acquire as sti ones.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,213 (Edited)
I guess I'll have look around then. Do they use similar suspension geometry to the imprezas?

Edit: according to nasioc they use bigger hubs than the sti and same suspension set up. I wonder if my rear coils will bolt up?

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
I'm in SE Michigan, I've parted out a couple SVX's, I have no parts left. I sold all my spare parts/engines to a guy named Nate Gustafson. He's in Erie PA. Shoot him a message on Fb if you are interested in SVX parts, he has them all.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,216
I'm in SE Michigan, I've parted out a couple SVX's, I have no parts left. I sold all my spare parts/engines to a guy named Nate Gustafson. He's in Erie PA. Shoot him a message on Fb if you are interested in SVX parts, he has them all.
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,217
Inner and outer tie rods on there way. Waiting for people to respond about hubs now.

·
Registered
Bugeye Sedan
50 Posts
I guess I'll have look around then. Do they use similar suspension geometry to the imprezas?

Edit: according to nasioc they use bigger hubs than the sti and same suspension set up. I wonder if my rear coils will bolt up?
Having just purchased an SVX I can offer some info on this subject.

The knuckles have a smaller strut bolt spacing than 05-07 sti knuckles. You would have to elongate one of the holes in the strut to get it too work.
The front thickness is the same where the strut bolts.
Not sure about the rears yet.

The front tophat bolt spacing is different and the circumference of the tophat is smaller on the SVX.
The rear tophat is much different on an SVX and there is no way to make an SVX rear strut mount bolt into an sti and vice versa.

The hubs are indeed bigger and the wheel bearing is beefier. Good luck trying to purchase a wheel seal if you go with SVX hubs though. Subaru has super-seceded the part to something that doesnt actually fit. Aftermarket supplies are nearly dry.
Front ball joints are vastly different but probably easier to fabricate an adapter due to their bolt on nature.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,219
Having just purchased an SVX I can offer some info on this subject.

The knuckles have a smaller strut bolt spacing than 05-07 sti knuckles. You would have to elongate one of the holes in the strut to get it too work.
The front thickness is the same where the strut bolts.
Not sure about the rears yet.

The front tophat bolt spacing is different and the circumference of the tophat is smaller on the SVX.
The rear tophat is much different on an SVX and there is no way to make an SVX rear strut mount bolt into an sti and vice versa.

The hubs are indeed bigger and the wheel bearing is beefier. Good luck trying to purchase a wheel seal if you go with SVX hubs though. Subaru has super-seceded the part to something that doesnt actually fit. Aftermarket supplies are nearly dry.
Front ball joints are vastly different but probably easier to fabricate an adapter due to their bolt on nature.
Thanks for the info! I'm only planning to use SVX rears. The guy I'm getting the hubs/knuckles from also has a set of blown struts so I'll be using those to adapt to my ISC Impreza coils.

·
Registered
Bugeye Sedan
50 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm only planning to use SVX rears. The guy I'm getting the hubs/knuckles from also has a set of blown struts so I'll be using those to adapt to my ISC Impreza coils.
Your welcome.

I'm going to try and steer you away from going with SVX rear hubs as they are notorious for eating wheel bearings.

STI hubs are more plentiful as are parts.
Part of me is regretting buying the SVX already. Parts are expensive and rare. What a pita.

1201 - 1220 of 2411 Posts