Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1181 - 1200 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,182
I'm debating. I don't want to run a crazy offset wheel but they're going to have to be wide to accommodate 305's. I can tub it down the road depending on what wheel/tire combo I decide.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,186
why you choose irs over a live axle?
To fit the live axle the whole car would have had to be back halfed. There's no room for a solid axle if you intend to go any lower. A solid axle also would have required some sort of four link designed whether it be a watts link set up or triangulated. Either way the I'd have to build a tube structure for the links to attach to, design my own functional suspension geometry, and have custom rear coils made to control it all. The IRS is alot of work but the lesser of two evils and I can retain SOME stock STI parts.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,188 (Edited)
I'll rip a R200 apart with the torque I intend to make. And both rails would have to come out. I'm not looking for any kind of tucked/stance look but I'm not driving around a monster truck. The yellow bug eye with the solid axle looks terrible the way it sits because he can't go any lower.

Edit: plus either way the trunk floor has to come out. The spare tire hump would impede the solid 8.8 just as much as it does to my IRS housing. Irs route requires less cutting, retains factory suspension geometry and pick up points, allows me to use off the shelf STI hubs, and I've only got $80 into a mint housing, Lsd, and perfectly good ring and pinion.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
sounds like a plan.

i just dont think youll ever be able to tub it that all. but 305's should fit even with out it, you just need a little flare action and some strut tweakage

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,190
It's definitely getting a widebody/flares when the time comes down the road. I'm going to test fit a bunch of wheel/tire combos to get as much tire width I can without running stance stancenation offsets and still clear my coils.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,192
why you tryin to kill dreams terry?
He's doing quite the opposite haha. I'm more than happy for people to suggest different ways to do things throughout the build. I've never "built" a car so it's a giant learning experience for me. The more points of view, usually leads to a more refined design.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,195
yeah id stick with the irs just from teh standpoint of using subaru uprights etc and not having to fab up attach points/frame and geometry for stick axle.

i guess youre basically gonna fab a whole subframe, is there enough room to use the same lateral links but still make room for the big ol punkin?
I was going to use stock STI lateral links and trailing arms but they're ridiculously overpriced. I'm buying a four link spherical rod end kit and tubing for double adjustable arms. They'll be STI length with 1.5" of in and out movement. Should give plenty of camber adjustment and no slop with solid ends.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,197 (Edited)
Did you back purge that merge collector? And what filler material did you use?
No unfortunately I'm not set up to back purge yet. The inside of the welds appears to be correct but only time will tell if it cracks. I was using 304 I believe.

And spare tire is gone. Rear differential mocked up. I'm not happy with any of my subframe designs so I can't move any further.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,199
Yeah the only problem is I can't run the down tubes like my front. It would set the subframe way to close to the ground. What's throwing me for a loop is offsetting the back tube to hold the diff and still having front to back bars to attach lateral link mounts.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,200
Found this msi rear frame on Google. Thinking I can base my design loosely on it. Shouldn't be to hard to offset the rear mounts to accommodate.

1181 - 1200 of 2411 Posts