Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1161 - 1180 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,163
you gonna paint or powdercoat all these new mounts and tube frame items?
Yep, plan is to have black powder mixed with BRP flakes and do all the tubular goodies. The local powder coating lady does entire sprint car frames for $100 so I shouldn't have much more than that invested.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,165
FYI the most shear force (moment really) on that mount is going to be where you have the tubes welded to the boxed sections that bolt to the chassis, cant see the underside from those pics but might be worth reinforcing unless there was a lot of surface to weld
Before I boxed it the mount plates were welded to to the tubes then the triangle braces were added to the sides. Each triangle is welded the entire length of the plate and vertically to the tube on each side. I'm not engineer but it should take an extreme amount of torque (more than I make hopefully) to rip it free.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166 (Edited)
So in the quest for perfection I was not satisfied with the look of the transmission mount inside the car. So after much deliberation I decided to cut more of the floor out to make room for a frame rail connector. The transmissions mount ties both frame rails together eliminating any worry I had about twisting the original. I promise this will be the last one.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,168
Definitely going to be way more confident on the rails taking the brunt of the load versus two bolts and a plate on each side.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
Before I boxed it the mount plates were welded to to the tubes then the triangle braces were added to the sides. Each triangle is welded the entire length of the plate and vertically to the tube on each side. I'm not engineer but it should take an extreme amount of torque (more than I make hopefully) to rip it free.
yeah im not there so i really cant tell anyway but unfortunately am an engineer so just feel the need to point out **** haha

fvck yeah now we're talking

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
Haha I'd much rather you point things out. It's a learning experience for me so the more input the better.

·
the hard way
1972 240Z
10,462 Posts
well since you mentioned :lol: i was also kinda thinking you could add a lot of strength to the control arm mounts by putting in some gussets kinda like this

TerryJr said:
were that ties in frame rail is a good place for some fore/aft support.
using a whole extra tube would be overkill but yeah sometihng like this (?)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,175
I like the gussets for the control arms. The front side is welded flush to the tube so I'll gusset the opposite.

I haven't decided between notching tubes and laying them 45° to the crossmember or like Terry said and using plate.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,176 (Edited)
Got the 2nd half of my front subframe in for final test fit. Control arms cycle like they should. Going to order some outer tie rods for that.

Transmission crossmember is in for good. I'm a mediocre mig welder so no close ups, but I have no worries that it won't hold.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,179
^I want to get as good as I can before tackling the cage. There's a lot out of position work that is making me nervous.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,180
So mocked up the rear diff today and it's huge compared the OEM rs diff. The cover is coming into contact with the spare tire hump. So, trunk floor is coming out tomorrow along with the rest of the sound deadening.

1161 - 1180 of 2411 Posts