Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1141 - 1160 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146 (Edited)
Control arm mounts are finished. I kind of dicked myself with a bunch of tight corners and grooves to weld in on this one. Alot of it I had to weld out of position to get everything covered. Definitely improving on my consistency around corners where I previously struggled.

Next up I'll be mounting my rack and deciding on a transmission mount.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,147
Transmission mount is nearly ready to be finished up. I'm utilizing a stock t56 mount plate for the base and the rest I did.

Had a close call with the angle grinder today. The wheel skipped off a piece of metal on the table, shredded through my sweatshirt, and wrapped itself into my tee-shirt. Thank fully it only cut into me where the shirt wrapped.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
If it had been a cutting wheel it probably would have more than just a scratch.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,150
Transmission mount all tacked and test fit. I'll weld it up after finals and the motor and trans will be sitting all by themselves!

And because valentine's day is coming up I figured I'd go with the stereotypical flower. Just playing around with scrap that I had from the notcher.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,152 (Edited)
That looks gorgeous. I really like drawing flowers/tribal designs and plan to eventually transfer one of them to metal.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
That looks gorgeous. I really like drawing flowers/tribal designs and plan to eventually transfer one very to metal.
Thanks, the Flowers were actually pretty easy. I cut out stars like a Mitsubishi logo with a hole in the center, then stacked 2 of them on a hole I drilled into a 4x4. Then used a press to push on a rounded steel pipe cap and pressed the stars into the hole. After that i used rod for the stems through the hole in stars like a pollen thing and tig'd it up

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,154
After some deliberation I decided my original transmission mount was too flimsy. A new one is in the works once I figure out my notcher again. The harbor freight drill I notch with took a **** finally and I really don't want to subject my nicer one to notching. With my new class schedule, probably won't make it to HF until this week.

I got it started though.

And because my daily is too sexy not to get a picture of

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,156
I've got to powder coat them to keep them from corroding. The beads seat for a few weeks and then slowly lose pressure.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,157
Transmission mount v2 tacked together. Hopefully picking up a rear differential this weekend.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,160 (Edited)
Transmission mount all finsihed up. This mount was a challenge to weld with everything being out of a normal position. I got to play with my weaving a bit with the base plate and it actually came out decent. Hope to try it the next chance I get with stainless.

After class the front end will be buttoned up other than sway bar and steering rack, both of which I haven't decided which components to use. I'm thinking a whiteline or stock sti sway bar and 2015 wrx rack.

1141 - 1160 of 2411 Posts