Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1101 - 1120 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,102
Bending exhaust tubing is all but pointless without an industrial mandrel bender. Pie cuts or Mandrel bends are the only way I'd do an exhaust. You could do a header back for >$200

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
Pie cuts or Mandrel bends are the only way I'd do an exhaust. You could do a header back for >$200

I've made 4-5 exhaust this way. Buy 180 degree mandrel bends and straight sections from Jegs/amazon/summit, chop saw for nice straight cuts, weld the **** out of it. I made a pretty sweet exhaust this way for a 240z, 2 resonators and a small quality straight through "muffler".
Made one for a new SHO Taurus, it sounded like poop, so we went back and added mufflers. and a handful of Subaru's. I always just buy headers though, maybe if I had a tig welder I would attempt one.

The exhaust on this car should be pretty fun.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,106 (Edited)
Yeah I like the builders kit that vibrant and ace race parts offers. Gives you a couple different pre-bent pieces. Other than the manifolds, the exhaust on my RS won't be that extravagant. The turbo I want limits my downpipe options to 5" or larger so I've got little option other than fender, bumper, or hood exit.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS Coupe
1,204 Posts
How much did that run you? ~$280?

My friend wanted a bender and we were scared to get the HF because people are advising you fill the pipes with sand so it doesn't crack....

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,110
How much did that run you? ~$280?

My friend wanted a bender and we were scared to get the HF because people are advising you fill the pipes with sand so it doesn't crack....
$231 for the bender. It was 46% off on amazon. And $200 for the die. The harbor freight is good for .120" and thicker wall. Not ideal for doing car work.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,114
keep an eye on that weld, stainless steel and cast steel have very different expansion properties

Changed your name i see
Definitely going to keep an eye on it. I consulted a few pros before embarking and they said I'd be fine with a flexible filler. I'm making a turbo bracket today for it so the majority of the stress will be held by the compressor housing/wastegate.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,119
^^ what he said. Pre heat as well.
Yep, I pre-heated it with a map gas torch and got it up to the 900° recommended temp before welding. I'm doing a cast iron head that's cracked on Wednesday so we'll see how that goes.

1101 - 1120 of 2411 Posts