Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

481 - 500 of 2411 Posts

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Wow thanks for the advice! I've driven both the 255 and 205 and the only difference I felt was the spool time.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Hopefully a major update next Saturday. It rhymes with mop. :cool:

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
95% complete. I still need to do something about a fuel pump, radiator and exhaust. 80k miles and I'll text you where and how much so no one picks it up before Saturday.

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.0rs
1,384 Posts
Alrighty shoot me a text, Run your rs radiator with a custom radiator hose, Get the fuel pump controler from a wrx and run an walborrow 255, id go stage 2 with an opensource flash right away, If you come down on a stock exhaust we can slap on a downpipe and intake here on the lift, then we can flash it with romradiator.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #490 (Edited)

So the time has come.

It's swap time!!!!

So yesterday around 3 my dad, my brother, and I loaded three deep into the dump truck. We drove an hour and a half to Concord to pick up a 5 star meal at M.C. Donald's. I got a call from Andrew saying that he was going to late. After we finished, we made the rest of the journey to look at the motor. I made sure the engine turned over and checked all the normal problem areas. The only thing of concern was a seized turbo.

The engine all covered up in the back of the truck during a bathroom brake at CVS.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

We got home somewhere around midnight and the engine just spent the night under a tarp. When I woke up I uncovered it and un tied the straps.

After the intake manifold was strapped my dad hooked the engine to the crane attached to the tractor. I walked beside it to keep everything steady.

I pulled the clutch and flywheel off to inspect them. The clutch is usable and the flywheel will be good with a slight resurfacing.

Next up was unloading the harness. The box of wires is at least 40 pounds and harness merges are obviously not for the faint of heart. Thankfully I'm sending it out to an up and coming merger.

I also picked up a mint intercooler and a nearly brand new Cobb heat shield.

So Its an 04 WRX motor with 90k miles. The only things I need now is an exhaust, intake, WRX fuel pump controller, Walbro 255, and a tune.

Let the fun begin!!

·
EZ GF w/Curves!
97'OBS/94'SVX LSi/00'OBS/01&#8
8,801 Posts
Well you JUST missed a deal on a Walbro. Just sold one the other week. Make sure when you get one to check all the etchings and that it says maid in US along with the right numbers on it. There are a lot of Chinese knock offs out there.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
Well you JUST missed a deal on a Walbro. Just sold one the other week. Make sure when you get one to check all the etchings and that it says maid in US along with the right numbers on it. There are a lot of Chinese knock offs out there.
Yeah I read an article somewhere that the knock offs are even using the same logo and stuff.

And I just found out I can't use the clutch that came with the motor. Looks like that will be going up for sale as well.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #498 (Edited)
So after school I ventured off to the nearest hardware store to pick up the m10x1.25x100mm required to set my engine on the engine stand, Come to find out they don't carry a bolt with that fine of thread in that length. Four other stores also don't carry that bolt. The last place I stopped was Napa and of course they had what I needed.

After getting the engine on the stand I backed my car in and set to work on removing the engine and harness.

The first items to be pulled were the intake box and of course the battery.

Then the messiest part of removing the radiator. Every single time I make an attempt at draining the coolant into a bucket I manage to dump most of it on the garage floor. Due to my overwhelming determination to go inside and eat I got the radiator out in record time just in time to grab some dinner.

Before I went inside I snagged a quick picture just because hoodless Imprezas are sexy. My first test run is going to be hoodless.

More to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
2000 Sedona Red 2.5RS
546 Posts
FYI Teddy, my wrx swap is running without the fuel pump controller and on my stock RS fuel pump, also on m my stock RS radiator.

I've got 3'' turboback exhaust, tgv deletes, intake and a tune and the fuel pump has taken everything I've given in.

I get 30 mpg, no cooling issues and tuned fine with my RS fuel pump.

The only thing I did was eliminate the "coolant box" located on the intake. I just ran a hose from coolant cross over to the turbo. I let her "turbo time" an extra second everytime i shut it down but I have had zero problems.

So, you can get the swap running and driving before you "NEED" and of those things.

481 - 500 of 2411 Posts