Bue - I'll take option 2

Fry - I'm in the wrong business obviously

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,006
Ironically my mother follows this thread so she's going to see our plans to remodel her entry way.

Brian - I work on baller cars, my student loan payments take me out of the baller category hahaha.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,009
January was a rather cold month, seeing too many days that were -40°. This made progress slower than I would have liked but I'm still plugging away.

The first order of business was to support the strut towers. I boxed and plated the sheet metal portions and ran tubes down to the now super short frame rails. No longer does the front end sag after letting it down onto stands.

Next on the list was the core support. I opted to make the entire support a one piece bolt in affair. It's essentially an upscale subframe connector. I started with the lower portion that is going to support the intercooler. It bolts to the underside of my front subframe. It comes out level with the front bumper.

I scavenged some solid rod ends from a discarded Jaguar E-Type alternator tensioner and cut out some brackets to bolt the rod ends too.

I followed the profile of the stock radiator support pretty closely to leave plenty of room for headlights, and my radiator/intercooler ducting.

I also scooped a almost brand new water pump and alternator bracket from an 03 Silverado for the stellar price of free-fifty. I chopped the lower portion of the alternator bracket off because I have no intentions of running power steering. I have a good friend with a 2015 STI that just changed out his steering rack because the seals were blown. Thankfully for me, he's throwing it away and I'm going to pick it out of the metaphorical dumpster tomorrow. I'm really curious how much quicker the 13:1 rack is.

Next weekend I'll connect the top and bottom portions because I ran out of time, aka I was dialing in my dad's sled's suspension on our moto x track. For now it's doodles.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,011
I figured since the car is the epitome of Frankenstein engineering I might as well add a bit more culture, courtesy of of the Germans.

·
Registered
98RS (Unicorn), 05 GSXR 1000
733 Posts
Hurry up already ? I’m selling off my Audi for another RS for a 20B swap that’ll be done before you even decide to put panels back on

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,015
Hurry up already ? I’m selling off my Audi for another RS for a 20B swap that’ll be done before you even decide to put panels back on
Rome wasn't built in a day. Hurry up and sell your lead sled so you can hang with the cool kids again.

guess it was a front end kinda weekend. easiest part to access in a cold garage
You got that right. I'm also procrastinating buying my hot/cold sides because my vibrant shopping cart is getting out of hand 🙃.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
Rome wasn't built in a day. Hurry up and sell your lead sled so you can hang with the cool kids again.

You got that right. I'm also procrastinating buying my hot/cold sides because my vibrant shopping cart is getting out of hand 🙃.
look for an old swimmin pool railing/ladder. Theyre usually 2" OD with decent wall thickness and loaded with good mandrel bend to make up pipes out of

ie: 2 step Pool ladder, Stainless Steel - general for sale - by owner

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,018
That still leaves me with screamers, down pipe, crossover and a whole cold side to do. The odds of it being a quality 304/16/21 are slim to none. Most industrial garbage is 409 which welds like rubbish.

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,913 Posts
That still leaves me with screamers, down pipe, crossover and a whole cold side to do. The odds of it being a quality 304/16/21 are slim to none. Most industrial garbage is 409 which welds like rubbish.

I used a pool railing 3 years ago. still shiny and only my carbon welds cracked lol. They're usually 316ss to hold up to chlorine. I like to save where i can.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,020
Ah yeah so do I, but the manifold bends really aren't the expensive part. The vbands, downpipe, and all the intercooler clamps are where it adds up quick.

2001 - 2020 of 2411 Posts