Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well lately the car has been running a little different at idle. Sometimes the car runs a little rough in park and seems to sputter sometimes and drop in rpms in drive and park. The car is a MY98 2.2. There are no lights on or anything of that kind. Sometimes at idle the car has a continuos clicking noise that is coming from the front region of the car also but when its in nuetral it goes away.. It just plainly runs a little rough at idle and I was wondering if anyone can tell me any ways to improve that. I have new plugs but wires are old also.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,360 Posts
Clicking is likely from your timing belt tensioner. When they start to go, the car ticks under load when cold, going away when warm. And they get progressively worse.

Idle problems could be something as simple and cheap as a PCV valve, particularly if the problem goes away the minute you start driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the ticking noise is always there when warm. also I have replaced the PCV in the last 1500 miles. sorry i forgot to mention that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,360 Posts
Pull the wires off the coil and check for corrosion. Given the age of the car, if it's the original coilpack you'll just want to replace it if there's an corrosion. Also, if you have access to a vacuum gauge, check and see that you're getting 20 inHg or higher. Any lower and you've got a significant vacuum leak which can mess up your idle pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
it sounds like you are having two issues, one the clicking could be the timing belt tensioner, but more likely it is valve train noise. As for the rough idle try cleaning up you battery terminals and grounding points might fix it. The terminals make a huge! difference in how the car runs in all aspects but especially at idle.

Is the clicking noise coming from one side of the motor or the other or in front almost between the belts for the AC, and alternator? other?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds more like the front of the engine. like where the pulleys are. this weekend i will have to get a better range and pin point where its coming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,360 Posts
It's very rare for that clicking/ticking to be valvetrain noise. Common misconception in the Subaru world. The only time you'll get valvetrain noise is after major motor work where the heads are disassembled (lash adjustment takes care of it) or in the very rare instance where you actually break something in the valvetrain.

Of the cars we get in that are ticking, 95% of them are taken care of with a new tensioner. The other 5% are piston slap which we repair under a Subaru Canada TSB that replaces the offending pistons (2 and 4) with slightly oversized pistons which eliminate the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,360 Posts
But nothing more than any other Subaru. That's what I'm talking about. A distinct ticking sound from the engine under load. That is NOT valvetrain. If you think it is, you might want to get your car looked at.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top