Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looking at rotors(especially scoobysports) and notice that they come in 3 sizes....16in, 17in, and 18in....also they come with eiter 4 or 6 pots....i was wondering if the inches on the rotor matters...like 16in. is for 16in rims....and 17in for 17in rims....or can 16in rotors fit any size rims from 16in up and 17in rotors can only fit 17in and up rims?.......just wandering?

·
Registered
92 Legacy Turbo
44 Posts
Thats a good question I dont really know. I do however know that from what I have heard is that the stock 16" subaru wheel will fit most all brakes, and those people who get aftermarket wheels run into trouble. So if you have Subaru wheels, you should be all set. Hope this helps.

Stu

·
Ntseg Muag!
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for ur reply.....i am planning to keep my stock rims also....and also get me a set of 17 in x 7 gold O-Z Superturismo...aniwaise thanxz again....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe that you have to have atleast the same wheel size as your rotors (16" rotor will fit 16", 17", and 18" wheels...but 17" rotors wont fit 16" wheels). If you want to know for sure, take ur question to the brakes forum (it is part of suspension i believe). There are alot more people in there that know alot more than me.

Ryan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Personally, I don't think that a 16" rotor will fit a 16" wheel. Where will the brake caliper go? It'll surely rub against the back of the rim/tire. Stock rotors on the RS 16" wheels, is around 11" only. I could be wrong though. Besides, a larger diameter rotor will be extra weight and doesn't provide the stopping power compared to slotted/crossdrilled rotors. Of course there are the two peice rotors that are a few pounds lighter. If I were to get the best stopping and accelerstion power from rotors, I'd go with a two peice, larger diameter, slotted, freeze dried, plated rotor for each wheel.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
OK, rotor size is not the only part of the brake system. Are you looking for the "gee-whiz" factor or actual performance? After you break down all the components, our stock rotor size is pretty well matched for our cars. Try getting better materials before going big you'll be out less $$ and probably be happier overall. As for size, stock is 10.7" f (can't remember the rear), if you're looking for a cheap upgrade path, try the WRX rotors (11.2" and thick!). Upgrade your brake lines, pads, rotor material and you'll have no problem stopping your scooby, besides you cant upgrade the rotor without upgrading caliper parts or full caliper replacement (big bucks).

·
Ntseg Muag!
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
me i'm going performance.....i'm thinking about scoobysports slotted rotors. they come in 16, 17, and 18 inches...so i'm not sure if they'll fit my stock.....i don't really care about cost as long as i get good performance rotors.......

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Lue, if you change the rotor size than you will also be changing the calipers. The WRX stock rotor only requires the caliper mounting bracket to be changed b/c the WRX caliper is similar enough to the RS caliper that everything fits. The size they list on their website is for wheel size, not rotor size. And, their kits include calipers as well as rotors. As for what wheels will the kits fit, you will need to check with the manufauctuer. For example, many of the brake kits for the RS will not fit on OE WRX wheels (due to caliper placement)! Depending on your current setup, I'd say you "should" progress down the following path:

1. Upgrade fluid, upgrade pads, stock rotors/lines
2. #1 + SS lines, MRT (or custom) master cylinder bracket
3. #2 upgrade rotor material/size

·
Ntseg Muag!
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh ok...thanxz for the advice.....i was wondering how 16 inch rotors can fit 16 inch rims....haha ok now i know....i'm gettin a RS...it is very similar to the jap sti 6 and down...so i shouldn't have problems with switching.....i'll try u're idea for starters...thanx!

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Remember, a 16" rotor is a 16" diameter across, and a 16" rim is 16" at the edge. The inside diameter of the rim is probably more like 12" across.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts