Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last pic
This is very scary for any future Rota buyer or current owner. Does anyone know what's the deal? Was it a freak accident or are Rota rims crap?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
That's the first I've heard of this happeneing. Hard to say what caused the failure - it could be a bad rim, bad lug nuts/improperly tightened, or hitting a curb previously....

:confused:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually thinking of getting a set of Formels after seeing that I'm a bit scared to blow that much on a rim that might blow-up

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
It was definately the rims...

I know who that is...

Rota was cool though and is taking care of the repairs...

and throwing in some SDRs...

The only Rotas I have heard of doing this are the Attacks and the SubZeros...

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
I personally have never heard of ANY rim doing this. Are there any other confirmed incidents of this happening?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
when you sell as many rims as rota, there are bound to be a couple bad ones. this is why you can't you case studies to make any type of conclusion about a population. the frequency of wheel failures is extremely low.

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Hahaha, yeah, that happened the day before I went autocrossing at the same place. So of course at the huge drivers meeting they asked if anyone was running on Rotas, and I had to step forward in front of everybody to say that I was, and then go back and get my wheels checked out. Of course they were fine, but yeah... They are worried about it now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
damn.... thats crazy, i was thinkin about lookin at some rota's but now i dunno if im goin to change my mind....

jebus.. :eek:

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
729 Posts
It wouldn't change my mind. Shit happens. If this became a regular thing, I'd change my mind. Seeing as this is one of the rare cases, I'd overlook it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yikes, that blows. I’ve never seen that before. I’ve seen aluminum wheels crack because of over tightened lug bolts but that’s it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've had a rim crack before and leave me stranded. It was a stock GTI-R rim, cruising along on a toll road barely above the speed limit. Scared the crap out of me! Sometimes there are just defects that you can't see with the eye.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts