Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Jdm 02-03 v7 rev a/b ej205 with avcs large port C heads that I bought with a junk turbo. I flushed the motor to get the turbo bearing material out and checked the rods right away and they felt fine and had my dad who’s a mechanic for 30 years check and said they are fine aswell. I just put the motor in a wrx that has a terrible knock and now the motor is making a ticking/knocking noise. Idk what it is doesn’t sound as loud as rod knock or like any I’ve heard. Only throws evap for check engine code. Has ngk iridium spark plugs torqued properly so not a loose plug. Car does over heat but I’ve traced that to the water pump. Idk where exactly the noise is coming from but it sounds like rear left. Idk what it is so any help on what to test to figure out is helpful.

heres the video.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds more like piston slap than rod knock, it can be difficult to diagnose. A simple thing to try is verify your timing belt tensioner is functioning properly by removing the timing cover. Verify the belt is tight, you can also put a little pressure on the tensioner using a large flat blade to see if the noise goes away. A failing tensioner causes the timing to wander and cause similar issues.

Bottom end noise can often be misdiagnosed and it could be as simple as a bad tensioner, at least rule that out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts