Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 22T block, its in perfect condition, no spun bearings. I am installing a set of forged pistons and while I was at it I was thinking about putting in a new set of rod bearings. Now is it possible to change out the bearings with out splitting the case halves? It seems like it is if I pull the pistons then go in through the posit cylinder. Any one does this before, what’s the trick?

·
Registered
2001 RS Silverthorn
1,023 Posts
I think you should be able to do it. If you remove the oil pan, it may give you enough room through the bottom to remove the 12mm nuts from the rods. If I were you, I would split the block and make sure the rod bearing and crank match up perfectly. Take it to a machine shop and have them match everything. I think it will be worth in in the long run to make sure all the internals are as near perfect as they can be. Its better to insure perfection now then to spin a bearing and ruin things later on

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
4,129 Posts
It is possible but I wouldn't do it. You should use a plastigage to check clearances of the bearings. Without splitting the case i don't think this is possible. It is also much easier to just split the case as Subaru intended.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,208 Posts
It may be possible if you have the right tools, but I really wouldn't recommend it. I don't see how you could properly torque it down though, even if you can replace the bearings.

In case you haven't looked at it, this is what you'll be looking at:

Before I scrapped my 1.8, I took out the crank/rods/pistons by cracking the block and taking the caps off the rods. I never pulled pistons before at that point, and I was just junking the block anyways. Even then, with the block cracked, I still had very little clearance to get to the caps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts