Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile RS25. I sold my 2.5RS in 2017 and have been playing around with E30s and 4Runners for a bit. I never got the Subaru where I wanted and I don't like to leave things unfinished. I've been waiting on a manual to pop up for sale for a little over a year and after missing out on a few I succumbed to that inner wish for the flexibility that four doors offer... still, no manuals to be seen... So I gave up, started looking into turbo'ing the E30. To free up some funds I started to look into pricing for a few spares I had from my previous coupe. MISTAKE. Facebook marketplace went into overdrive showing me Imprezas in my area on my FB feed. Two days later, scrolling in the car waiting to pick my son up from school, this thing appeared. I messaged the guy asking meet the next morning if he still had it. He said, "I posted it 2hrs ago and I've received 125 messages." So I asked for the address, picked my son up, and got straight onto the highway. The car was an hour away. And the rest is history as they say.

Other than the car having been bathed in Armor All, it appears to be in decent condition with only the normal wear items and normal Subaru things needing to be replaced. 202k miles on the dash. I told myself if I ever bought another one, and it couldn't be a coupe, it'd be a wagon and here she is. RockSteady's Dolomite.

As for plans, I want it in tip top shape, ready for daily duties, my Galant while a comfortable DD isn't nearly as fun to drive. I want a "what should've been" USDM STI Wagon look and feel, but I don't know if I want a turbo either. Maybe EZ30, more than enough power to have fun around town and on back roads. The E30 is my go fast car now so I'd like to keep reliability #1 here, so the engine will probably be last.

I've already started the process of picking up new parts (side skirts, both rear spoilers, lowering springs and struts), and I'm debating on how to go about the rear quarter rust. It's not really gotten into the car, just the outer skin, and under the car is CLEAN. I've yet to take the rear bumper off and I know there could be surprises awaiting me. My heart says order ABW flares and 17x9 wheels and be done with it, but a piece of me wants to keep the stock body look. TBD.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Niiiicccceee!!!
I just had recently found a 97 manual coupe.. I haven't even picked it up yet, and a Subaru mechanic offered me his manual 99 OBS as a straight trade..

I'm a Forester kinda guy and I think the wagon will fit the family, better.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
53 Posts
Sounds like you found exactly what you were looking for, so congrats! As for it being a reliable daily, it should do well in that department, as those 2.2l engines are about bulletproof. Sounds like you're coming up with a plan, so stick to it! Let us know if you need any help, or are looking for something specific!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Niiiicccceee!!!
I just had recently found a 97 manual coupe.. I haven't even picked it up yet, and a Subaru mechanic offered me his manual 99 OBS as a straight trade..

I'm a Forester kinda guy and I think the wagon will fit the family, better.

He should put some money on top of that since coupe prices have been soaring. OBS are a dime a dozen here. I didn't want the sun roof.

Sounds like you found exactly what you were looking for, so congrats! As for it being a reliable daily, it should do well in that department, as those 2.2l engines are about bulletproof. Sounds like you're coming up with a plan, so stick to it! Let us know if you need any help, or are looking for something specific!
Thank you, absolutely. Thats why I went for an L, not only the lighter weight, but it's reliable ol' ej22.

I have not seen a black wagon in so long and it looks amazing in black. I may be biassed though because half my cars are black
I'm normally not a fan of black cars, so difficult to keep clean in KS where we can have all four seasons in one week. But I've never personally seen a black wagon locally. Lots of green and reds. I already got offered $2500 at the gas station, which is more than I paid, so I must've done something right!

·
Registered
53 Posts
In all fairness.. I feel I should be giving him cash on top.. lol..

I like pulling "barn finds", out of thin air..
I have a 96 impreza L sedan, 01 RS sedan, and the 97 Impreza L, manual coupe and only 1,200$ into em.. Not to mention the running 04 FXT, I recently snagged(literally from a farm, next to the barn) for 300$..

He recently had an offer of 3,500$ for his wagon. It's clean and Well maintained!

My son didn't share the RS dream, with me.. But a "RS" wagon, he likes. Lol.

Since I have a 06 WRX parted out, I have a full harness, ECU, and motor from the XT. (If he so chooses, after a couple years of driving). If I don't sell the stuff, first. Lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In all fairness.. I feel I should be giving him cash on top.. lol..

I like pulling "barn finds", out of thin air..
I have a 96 impreza L sedan, 01 RS sedan, and the 97 Impreza L, manual coupe and only 1,200$ into em.. Not to mention the running 04 FXT, I recently snagged(literally from a farm, next to the barn) for 300$..

He recently had an offer of 3,500$ for his wagon. It's clean and Well maintained!

My son didn't share the RS dream, with me.. But a "RS" wagon, he likes. Lol.

Since I have a 06 WRX parted out, I have a full harness, ECU, and motor from the XT. (If he so chooses, after a couple years of driving). If I don't sell the stuff, first. Lol

Where exactly do you live? I'd love to find deals like that around. Haha I would love to get in on that action. And yeah dad, way more fun to be had when the back seats lay down.

Stock body ftw
Normally, yes! But in this case that'll require more work and $$$ unfortunately I'm not looking to restore this car but have it road ready and halfway pretty by May. Since I don't know how to do body work (yet) but do know how to cut and install flares, me keeping this in my wheelhouse will speed up this process and save me a few dollars up front.

And while there's a bit I'm not a fan of on this car (backwards scoop, blacked out corner lights, canards to name a few), the way it sits with the flares and rear STI (or SYMS) spoiler is very similar to look I want. Even if I won't have the engine to go as fast as the car looks 🤣

I've already ordered new general maintenance parts and a few small visual upgrades. There are a few companies that have gone out of business since I was around last time. Where is everyone looking for parts and upgrades? I'm aware of Rock Auto, RallySpec, Japan Parts, Yahoo Auctions and a few of the OEM parts catalogues but I feel like I'm missing a few. It's been awhile.

All help greatly appreciated and feedback welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I mean that yellow wagon is pretty dope.

IMO, it’s very difficult to execute the “split” rear fender flare over a sedans rear doors. Looks good in pics but in person often looks terrible. Your call. If you can do it well, it’ll be cool. If done wrong you’ll ruin the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Progress was halted momentarily as an E30 vert popped up for $300 with a running engine. The car was toast but engine and harness were in good shape. So I sent a spare 885 head I had to the machine shop and spent the last week or so disconnecting everything and pulling the engine in my spare time.

Now to Dolomite, I just put in a decent sized refresh order but I have a few questions:
  1. Rock Auto has a "front end kit" with new A-arms and bushings, worth it?
  2. Should I just look for aluminum A-arms and go with OEM/Group N bushings throughout?
  3. Any reviews on Group N bushings?
  4. For the rear lateral links, any one with experience with one brand over another? Should I buy used jdm pinks and press in my own bushings?
Again, I would envision this car to always be an OEM plus and daily-able with kids comfortably in the back. All insight and help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Attach26476_20210501_113652.jpg received_139605988145481.jpeg

Brake refresh!

I felt one of the calipers dragging on the way home so the car hasn't really moved since I bought it. RockAuto finally came through and dropped some goodies off. All back up to spec.

Now I'm tackling the front end. Still looking for advice here. Also any other solutions besides Subie Savers? They're not currently shipping to the US right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts