Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 impreza 2.5i
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I go to a junk yard and find a 4.11 LSD could I swap the ring gears and throw the LSD in my car with my original ring and pinion?

·
Registered
01 RScoupe,02WRX
111 Posts
If the diff you'll be replacing is a 4.11 you should be okay. Don't forget to swap the bearings from the old diff to the new LSD. You can't mix up the bearings and races because they're mated to one another. Pull the bearings off by the race, NOT THE CAGE! I've wrecked bearings doing this. When your done don't forget to check the lash between the ring and pinion.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
...and do not mix up the little shims that are on the sideplates.

Clean everything really well and doublecheck the wear pattern with grease before you put the cover back on for good.

Don't overtorque the sideplate bolts, or you may throw off the backlash.

Take your time....it is the easiest way to add an LSD to an open diff.

·
Registered
2005 Baja Turbo
1,448 Posts
Good advice on rear pumpkins. :)

I had always wondered if Subaru used shims or adjustment nuts.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Good advice on rear pumpkins. :)

I had always wondered if Subaru used shims or adjustment nuts.
They actually used both. The T-type uses shims and the VA-type uses a star shaped adjustment nut....just like the front diff. Both are still considered R160s, but not much is cross compatable betweeen the two.

·
Registered
2007 impreza 2.5i
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks. I have a 3.90 rear. So if I take the LSD and put my 3.90 gears on that and put it back in the original housing will that work?

·
Registered
2007 impreza 2.5i
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry hahaha more info would have helped. Uh its a 98' impreza outback sport. it has 3.90 drivetrain. so is that possible? all I want to do is take the LSD and put it in my diff.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Yup...exactly the way you should do it. Pull both diffs out of the housings, swap the ring gears, and put the LSD into your OBS housing. While it's always good practice to change the bearing races to keep them with the bearings that originally came with....I've found the Subies to be pretty damn tight on tolerances......tight enough that I've had to make a change in 1 diff out of 6-7 that I've done.

Check things first, change if necessary.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,916 Posts
Yup...exactly the way you should do it. Pull both diffs out of the housings, swap the ring gears, and put the LSD into your OBS housing. While it's always good practice to change the bearing races to keep them with the bearings that originally came with....I've found the Subies to be pretty damn tight on tolerances......tight enough that I've had to make a change in 1 diff out of 6-7 that I've done.

Check things first, change if necessary.
Yep I kept my bearings on the carrier. Went just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts