Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza L 2.2. Mixed reds
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

I'm learning a lot, and finally beginning to ask more questions before I go off and make modifications or purchases. So here I find myself.

I own a GC4, that my friends have named Banshee. I'm using the original 2.2L block. I have 2.5 heads, and have run this setup for a while on an RS 5 speed transmission. (Originally I wanted to boost my motor and discovered the single port exhaust headers. Bought some dual port heads, and failed to realize that they where 2.5 instead of 2.2.) On the offhand, this lowers the compression ratio so perhaps that can be used to my advantage.

I also own a TD04HLA, with matching headers and up-pipe. I didn't know too much about the turbo when I picked it up for about $200, or that the fitment wouldn't be exactly the same as it came off of a Legacy chassis originally. I just wanted to do something different and thought that a twin scroll with Equal Length headers was very cool.

I can expect that many will read this and say this is a bad idea, or too much work. If that's the bitter truth of it, I hear ya. I could still purchase a different setup I suppose but I'd love to make this work because I think it's neat.

What would be very helpful is:
If people can direct me to threads regarding boosting NA blocks, guides for how much pressure to aim for, and what supporting mods are necessary. So I can come up to speed and not be ignorant.
Can anyone tell me about fitment from an NA position? I realize that Power Steering lines, AC high pressure line, AC reservoir, and ECU wiring harness are passing through the same space that the turbo would eventually occupy.

That's where I'm at the begin with. Any help would be enormously helpful!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
368 Posts
I have that turbo on one of my cars, it's great! Top end, not so much.

You seem to have a lot of ideas about what others are going to think and say about your setup. Why don't you do the leg work, find the threads, ignore the people telling you it won't last, etc. Like Nike says, "Just do it!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have that turbo on one of my cars, it's great! Top end, not so much.

You seem to have a lot of ideas about what others are going to think and say about your setup. Why don't you do the leg work, find the threads, ignore the people telling you it won't last, etc. Like Nike says, "Just do it!"
Thanks for the input mike. I caught a lot of flack local from some nitwits. I'll get to work by reading the sticky posts on turboing. I'm excited to hear you like that turbo though.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
576 Posts
I had a 2.2 block with 2.5 heads, that motor was AWESOME with just a td04. I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you have some form of engine management.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 2.2 block with 2.5 heads, that motor was AWESOME with just a td04. I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as you have some form of engine management.
Thank You for the info SoCoNoHa. Can you share any thoughts on engine management? Presently I bought a different ECU as I swapped this chassis from an AT to an MT. I also had an option to buy a 94 WRX Auto front clip for about $1500 but again engine management is something to consider. A lot of folks suggested I get a USDM WRX transplant so I could take advantage of a Cobb Accessport.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I'm taking measurements for the EQ headers and uppipe I realize I need to get an STI oil pan, deal with the NA cross member, and reroute my powersteering.

The oil pan is figured out, naturally I purchase one.
The powersteering I can sort out with the proper fittings using 6AN steel lines given enough time.
The Cross member I still have to figure out.

Starting to get excited.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I'm taking measurements for the EQ headers and uppipe I realize I need to get an STI oil pan, deal with the NA cross member, and reroute my powersteering.

The oil pan is figured out, naturally I purchase one.
The powersteering I can sort out with the proper fittings using 6AN steel lines given enough time.
The Cross member I still have to figure out.

Starting to get excited.

Thank You code3suby!!

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
576 Posts
I ran an AEM FIC/6 piggyback, and had great results. I used it in tandem with my stock ej18 ECU which is extremely simple and didn't try to learn around my tuning. The only downsides are the 25psi boost ceiling and the inability to advance timing, it can however retarded timing.
I'm currently doing research to find a more capable piggyback, but for getting started the AEM is cheap and easy to use. I'd like to go standalone but I need to pass an OBD2 plugin test for inspection.

Before I got my piggyback, I wired a potentiometer into the signal wire from the MAF sensor to the ECU. It makes the ECU think there's less air going in so it injects less fuel, which helps with larger injectors. Of course, you'll need a wideband o2 sensor and display, a boost gauge, and preferable an oil pressure gauge if you want to do your own tuning.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
576 Posts
What kind of ECU did you buy? It may be worth it to find one from a newer Subie that can be reflashed, I've heard good things about that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to pull back my carpet and look at the markings on my ECU. I forgot the model off hand, but it was on capable of the pin out to MT setting. I have learned that on Jauce.com I could also acquire an APEX Commander for a GC8. Soon as I have those details I'll get back to this with the model. So excited to hear you had great results and could tune your setup. Thanks for sharing!

Update, oil pan to arrive tomorrow, still no closer to knowing my powersteering fitting sizes. Body work is nearly complete, prepping to paint by the end of month.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
368 Posts

On the left (bottom) is the turbo's original cover, and installed is an ebay "td04-19t" cover. It is actually a regular USDM 02-07 WRX td04 cover that had been milled out to fit the "HLA-19t" wheel, and it fit perfectly. Only thing to figure out now is the wastegate situation - the "HLA-19t" wastegate doesn't bolt on, and the regular USDM td04 wastegate bolts on but the wastegate arm doesn't reach - needs more offset. So I'll be ordering a few aftermarket wastegates till I find the right one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts