Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A few more things in the works for the RS while I wait on the new coilovers to arrive.

Untitled by 86Reverend, on Flickr

1: replaced my balding all-seasons with General Altimax Arctic snow tires. These will not only be great for the winter but also be a good alternate choice for rallycross when conditions aren't right for my mud tires!

2: close to securing some "WRX BBS Option" wheels for a good summer set. I've always loved these wheels and have the opportunity to hopefully nab a set for my RS if all goes well. Fingers crossed!

3: Ordered a Stromung Catback Exhaust... again. This is probably what I miss most from my previous RS for sound and aesthetics. I had a single tip before and decided to go with the dual tip this time around.

Figured I'd better spend the money on parts for the RS now so I can further prep it for competing in the Prepared AWD class for Rallycross. This summer, my '16 Hyper Blue STI will be eating up more Mod Money in the summertime. Now's the time to stock up on RS goodies!!

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Major change to my interior this weekend. Does it make me go faster? No. Does it make me feel like I'm in a 22B or RB5? YOU BET!

Version 7 STI seats with modified rails to sit lower in my RS. Seats are a little more comfortable for a fat American like me but still hold me pretty well. Plus a little interior help from Zealous Interiors in the Door Card department. Gonna do the rear cards later when I have the back seat out for new suspension but night now I'm in LOVE with this new look!

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My next interior bit is to figure out which steering wheel I wanna go with. If I can find a MOMO steering wheel with a silver center, it'll be like the RB5 interior. The MOMO wheels retain an airbag, too. I wouldn't need an adapter to mount this sort of wheel either. However, they are the same diameter as the current stock wheel.

If I can find a Nardi STI steering wheel, it'll be like the 22B interior. The Nardi wheel doesn't have an airbag in it and would need an adapter to fit right. It has a slightly smaller diameter than the stock and MOMO wheels. I've considered doing a steering rack upgrade on the RS, so having a smaller wheel might make turning even easier.

It seems silly to be caught up on just a steering wheel, but I've been flip-flopping between the two options for awhile. Any suggestions or preferences?

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In case anyone follows this anymore, here's another nice addition to my RS. These were hard to track down but I finally found a set of WRX "optional BBS" wheels.

The wheels aren't perfect, but I'd like to get some work done on 'em at some point. Some chips in the paint, a small bend on the inside of one of the wheels, and some corrosion from clamp weights being mounted to the outside would be nice to fix up. Otherwise they look great and balance up easily. I can definitely feel the weight difference with these wheels, so there's already some miles from hugging turns on some scenic backroads with these.

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
966 Posts
I always wondered what those BBS would look like on a STM cooupe. Now i know! they look great!

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks everyone!

I think I've caught myself between a rock and a hard place though. Turns out building a nice clean RS Coupe while also trying to make it a Rallycross weapon aren't easily achieved at the same time.

Enter: the Flatout Suspension Rallycross Coilovers

I was already a little irked at the 2-month waiting time to get these in and the lack of communication from Flatout. So, when they finally arrived, I was ready to jump in and make it work. We installed them a week before a Rallycross event so we would have time for alignment and for the coilovers to settle. The Tender springs were giving us issues and not working the way my suspension guy was hoping they would. There was a lot of travel with the shock but the springs were binding and having issues settling. We thought we had 'em figured out until I went to the rallycross that weekend. The springs were making all sorts of unpleasant noises so I set the car aside and raced my '16 STI instead.

Now I've got a compromised ride for daily driving and a set of springs that are disagreeing with the conditions at rallycross... and I can hear Jeremy Clarkson's voice echoing "You've ruined your car!"

I wanna get this suspension set up right but it'll probably need different springs or different tender springs at the very least. Just frustrating since I had hoped these would work out-of-the-box. But even if I do get em working right, I just don't enjoy how the car drives on coilovers on the street. And while the lift in ride height is good for rallycross, it looks kinda "blah" on this nice clean coupe. My new BBS wheels look silly on it, so I've got it on my stock wheels for now until I can figure out a solution.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Change of direction for this RS! Turns out I don't like ruining cars... and rallycross coilovers compromised the ride a bit too much for me using it as a daily / fun runs through scenic roads. As such, I've swapped suspension with a friend and gone to KYB Excel-G Struts with stock RS Springs on it. It's a great setup, nothing too crazy, but still very enjoyable to drive. He'll be dialing in the coilovers on his RS for competition use and preparing it for Rallycross Nationals later this year.

It's still got the new stainless brake lines on it so the pedal feel is much better. I think next I need to re-tackle that finicky Cold Air Intake, find a slightly stiffer rear sway bar, and maybe some more rumble. Otherwise, the car feels nice and tight and an absolute joy to drive around in.

IMG_4488 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Looks Nice!
The V7 seats look much better than the GC seats in my opinion + they match the door panels :)

Be careful w the salt & winter driving - thats what will kill the car even if it is garaged...

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Not really much of an update, just enjoying the RS this summer.

The official "To-Do" list on this guy has been tweaked just a bit. I've been busy working on upgrades for my '16 STi over the summer, so the RS has been serving more of a fun daily driver role while I work on those things.

• WRX Wagon Rear Sway Bar Upgrade
  • Rework Injen Cold Air Intake
  • Refinish / Repaint Front Bumper
  • JDM Smooth Rear Bumper
  • Paint Side Skirts to Match
  • Borla UEL Headers
I kinda have these changes listed in order of when they'll probably get done. The Rear Sway upgrade is an easy swap and I already have the parts for the Injen kit waiting to go in. Later in the fall I've got some body work planned so when I have the front bumper off for repairs and painting, I'll also get the Side Skirts and JDM Rear Bumper painted at the same time. I may even have the Prodrive RB5 Wing repainted as it's not an exact match and there are blemishes and chips in it from before I owned it. The last stuff I'll mess with will be headers, and that's still an "IF". The Stromung Catback Exhaust is great right now but I do miss that rumble from the older RS.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I haven't done much with my Impreza (other than enjoy driving it all the time) but I have learned just how crucial it is to keep my Key Fob in good shape. The old CODE Alarm systems on Imprezas 2001 and before aren't in production anymore. Subaru Dealers can't order replacements anymore and used ones seem to hold their value better than our beloved cars. I did luck out and find a near-mint one that one of the technicians had at my dealership.

My key broke the other day. Thanfully, enough of it was exposed in the ignition that we could remove it, so I've ordered a replacement. Hoping it works, as I've heard varying degrees of success! I still have an old spare that I'm using, but it's kind of a softer more worn down metal so I don't want to risk having that one break off, too.

Got a WRX Rear Sway Bar in, but I just haven't had time to install it yet. I'm thinking of upgrading endlinks while I'm at it anyways. Any suggestions on Endlinks?

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, turns out I've sold my RS... but it's okay! I'm super proud that this car now belongs to a long-time Subaru fan. He's a good friend of mine, but he also owned a '99 RS once, started the local Subaru Owners club that I'm a part of now, and has been a Rallycross mentor for me as I've grown into the sport.

I know it's in good hands and it makes me so proud to hear how much he's been enjoying it already. Plus, I'm pretty sure his kids will get to enjoy this car, too. Pretty neat to see another generation getting introduced to such a great car!

It's weird. I've owned Impreza coupes for the last 4 years. I've still got my '16 WRX STI and I added a '06 Baja Turbo to the family, but I'll always have an affinity towards those 1st Generation Imprezas. Maybe I'll be back to RS25 with another one someday...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts