Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after i install my CAI manifold, high flow cat, cat back, headers and pulleys should i reset my ECU? if so how do i do so?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
you should reset your ECU. i have heard of two different ways of resetting it. i have also heard that you can't reset your ecu without going into subaru. so, i don't know what's right.

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i just get that PROECM chip woudl that take care of the resseting needs?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
that i don't know...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Resetting the ECU is a good idea but does not absolutely need to be done. It just helps it learn a bit faster.

To reset:

1. Disconnect your positive battery cable.
2. Wait 30 minutes before reconnecting.
3. Reconnect cable (and if you have keyless remote lock and unlock doors to clear flashing parking lights)
4. Start car and let it idle for 10 minutes not touching gas pedal.
5. Turn off car and then restart and take it out for a spirited drive.

In my case after doing the 3" mod to the Torque box I reset the ECU. Doing this cleared up a sloppy 2-3 shift on my auto. No more sloppy 2-3 shift!!! WooHoo!! :D

·
Registered
2013 GTR
702 Posts
yea, try posting this in i-club and ull last 5 minutes =)

after u disc ur neg. battery cable, i heard that if you step on the brake and hold it for a minute or so...it will speed up getting all them electrodes outta ur car...

·
Registered
225 Posts
dRu 888 is right. If you disconnect the battery then step on the brake pedal it will completely discharge the electrical system, and you will not need to wait 30min.

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one person told me to disconnect the positive terminal, then another person told me to disconnect the negative terminal.. which one or should i just diconnect the battery altogether... oh and does this method hold true for most cars?

·
Registered
99 2.5 rs-t
39 Posts
I work for honda and I just read a service bulletin stating that the quickest way to reset an ecu is to disconnect the positive and negative terminals and hold them together for about a minute and it will reset the ecu scott

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
by "holding them together" do you mean that you want me to take the positive and negative terminals and acutally allow contact in between them?

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what i meant but its all good

thanks for your help people

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Just an FYI for safety sake, always undo the neg terminal first and then the positive. When putting them back on, do it the opposite, Positive first then, negative. This eliminates the ability of the tool you are using arcing to ground and minimizes the risk of the battery exploding. I know it sounds silly but I've seen it happen. It sounds like a gun shot and it's not pretty.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Peaty's right (as usual)

Always take the negative off first, put the negative on last.
Always put a rag on the negative terminal when wrenching on the battery.

If *gawd forbid* a wrench or something metal should fall across the terminals, it will WELD itself there, and get so hot you can't touch it in like 2 seconds. Meanwhile, your battery is dumping like 6,000 or more amps across the short, and in just a few seconds the electrolyte (fluid in the battery) starts to boil...when electrolyte boils, it gives off Hydrogen and Oxygen, which as you probably know is TRUELY rocket fuel...By now the wrench looks like the element on an electric stove on "HIGH"...you get the idea.

Pulling a cable and stepping on the brake or pulling both and shorting them together will do the same thing, i.e. discharge the capacitors in the ECU.

Just my $.02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts