1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99RS RBP & 04WRX WRB stg2
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aim: xbjcpinoi18x
email: [email protected]

i have a 99RS and plan on doing a usdm sti swap soon..just wondering if anyone knows any links to any DIY for a usdm STI swap..plan on paying someone else to do the wiring

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the links is for the wiring but ill def take a look at that to see if its achievable for me..what im looking for is a guide to installing the usdm motor into an RS

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Step 1: Remove stock motor
Step 2: Replace with STI motor
Step 3: Drink beer

It bolts in. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im pretty sure id be able to figure it out like that but you know having a guide always helps..seeeing what other people have done before..does EVERYTHING bolt up exactly the same way it would in an sti??

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Theres only 2 bolts and 4 nuts that hold the engine in. Unless you're trying to hook up the STI intake and stuff too, it's a direct fit.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Why would you swap the engine without swapping the crossmember?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im just saying if i just replace the stock stuff and put in place the sti stuff will it be just bolting on stuff wit no problems?

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
There will always be problems ;)

But as far as the actual installation of the engine goes, putting it in is just like putting in the stock one.

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
First you have to have a turbo X-member. It has a relief for the up-pipe. It will not bolt in because the up-pipe will be hitting if you don't switch it.
If you use the USDM sti one, the points where the control arm bolt up are wider so you will have to shim the control arms to get them to fit tight. Best bet is to either use the sti control arms too, which will widen the track width on the front or get an older legacy turbo one or a jdm gc8 one.
The splines on the rack are different than the gc8. you can use your stock rack but the sti has a quicker ratio. there is a thread on here on how to modify the u-joint coupler thingy to use your gc8 steering shaft with the sti rack.

I did this swap and what I did was just unbolt the whole x-member assembly (motor trans, trans x-member, suspension) and just bolted it right into my gf8. bolted in, no problems. The only thing that you have to be mindful of is the suspension is slightly different. the front will bolt right up but the rear will not.

If you're more specific on what exactly you would like to know, I can help you out some more.

-Kurt

·
Registered
1995 V2 STi RA, 2010 ExigeS240
113 Posts
^yea I've been getting little pieces of everything... if someone took everything together, that'd be great. (then again, it requires tons of work)

I'll def. get in touch with you though. I'm looking towards a 96-01L <- Sti swap.

·
Registered
2006 WRX
611 Posts
Search for a thread in the swaps forum by "99 rs" -- I don't think you can have a much more detailed guide than his.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts