Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Legacy L 30th Anniversary
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to smoke/tint your tail light lenses for cheap and still have it be legal?

·
Registered
04 sti
1,126 Posts
get some stained glass black paint and mist it on there... or just do the whole thing black.

·
Registered
99 Legacy L 30th Anniversary
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks I think I might do that, because it's much cheaper then new tail lights, and there isn't alot of them that I like.

These look really cool though.
Are the 70% light output ones street-legal? Or only the 83% ones?
Oh man, they dont have pics for the blue ones lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
get some transparent red paint and start spraying...
the tints will come out eventually..

THe paint wont..

total cost = $8.50cdn
total time = 3hours
outcome = Priceless

Very simple, tape off places you dont want to be spray with masking tape first then apply newspaper ontop. Sand it down a bit, then apply 3-4 layers of paint giving 1/2 an hour in between.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
/\ like the DIY that alpha (a.k.a. big shizzle) posted way back in teh day?

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28198

I did the red/red tails mod too about a year or two ago, and it's all faded off. I need to do it again. Still have 2 cans of that transparent candy apple red modeling paint to do it with, lol.

·
Registered
13 Impreza
1,334 Posts
as is, mine WERE all red.... now they're mostly red with some orange where the red faded. i did some niteshaded tails which are sitting in my basement awating install. i'll let you know how long the shade lasts. lol

·
Registered
FX45, 2008
1,274 Posts

Cheap, Legal, Not permanent (per MY choice)

I did not clear over it because I was unsure of the overall scheme I was going with. I used Testors Transparent black, Rubs off with alcohol for about the first few days, then you have to put some elbow grease to remove after that. Withstands outdoors, carwash, but not tape!

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
^^^^^^ That looks really freakin' good! Like, amazingly good! If I had a black car, I think I would do that same thing. The garage door sealer spats do not look good though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts