Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TheGreyEminence
99 OBS (240k and counting)
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the bearings all done and am reassembling the hub now. When I try to reaatatch the castle nut to the tie-rod, the tie-rod bolt just spins....Please lemme know what I'm taking for granted ASAP. Much love.

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Press hard on the bottom of it and you'll be fine it just needs a light bit of pressure on the bottom, get it midly tight and the cotter pin will hold it on just fine.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
I recently had the bearings all done and am reassembling the hub now. When I try to reaatatch the castle nut to the tie-rod, the tie-rod bolt just spins....Please lemme know what I'm taking for granted ASAP. Much love.

Is it grabbing several threads and then turning right before the nut hits the hub, or is it catching the threads wrong and not starting? Usually you can just put a little bind on the tie rod or push up on the bottom and it will grab. Make sure to snug it though, don't leave any slack.

·
TheGreyEminence
99 OBS (240k and counting)
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx fer the responses eh? No I'm not Canadian. Tried putting alotta pressure on it and still couldn't get it to thread nice. My brother finally read somethin bout usin a pipe wrench and that seemed to work. I didn't see it though I was watchin his 1 year old. But thats interesting to know that it SHOULD only require a lil bit of pressure and we definitely needed to apply ALOTTA pressure. These 99's are rough to work on eh? Maybe just the OBS's anyway. Or maybe just the OBS's with over 200k!!! She's still worth it though, kinda.

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
hope he didn't mess up the taper with the pipe wrench.

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
+1 for putting pressure on the bottom of it. i had to do that with the bottom ball joint.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Legacy L
2,390 Posts
you should just buy new tie rods. they are like 40 bucks each from napa. might as well replace the wear and tear parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts