Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Obs White 2.2L 5MT
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of people have done it but was wondering if anyone could explain a little more and show some pics...I get completely lost when I look at other threads about this (I'm a very visual person :p)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I want to remove most of it...if not all of it. I know there are tons of lines that would have to be taken out and not sure if that helps with the weight all that much.

·
Premium Member
2000 BRP Coupe
599 Posts
i did this last summer. make sure to drain using the high pressure side ("H" on the drain cap). i could be wrong about the high/low name, but it's the line that follows the firewall from the cockpit to the a/c compressor.

then, just unbolt everything. there will be a hole in the firewall that you have to plug, but if you just take the original hard line and stuff it in there, it'll do. just pinch hte hard line shut and weld the tip...or use a good epoxy.

should take about an hour if you're careful not to bust your knuckles :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tekgnosis said:
should take about an hour if you're careful not to bust your knuckles :)
Hah knowing me...

·
Registered
1995 S14 w/S14 SR
1,323 Posts
Removing AC took me all of 30 minutes on a friends car. Can't really tell you all that is involved since I just keep unbolting what needs to be unbolted and eventually I'm done.

If you want to remove the front condenser you will need to remove the radiator though.

·
Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,125 Posts
^^ Removal of radiator is not needed, you can just push it forward and the condensor will slide out.

·
Registered
2001 2.5RS, White
475 Posts
1nsp said:
if anyone could explain a little more and show some pics...I get completely lost when I look at other threads about this (I'm a very visual person :p)
anyone? anyone?

·
Registered
569 Posts
guesswho said:
^^ Removal of radiator is not needed, you can just push it forward and the condensor will slide out.

+1... It's a tight fit though.

Just go balls out and start unbolting shit. Just follow the AC lines to wherever they go and untighten them. Be sure to have a box to put all the lines, condensor, and compressor in, so if down the road you want it back you can simply bolt everything back in place (gonna have to recharge the system with R134a or whatever it's called).

(EDIT: I have 444 posts, woot)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts