Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 OBP RS Coupe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheel bearing was on it's last limb the other day, so I purchased a new bearing and hub from autozone, and the oil seals/snap ring from subaru.
$175

Took the steering knuckle off and took it to a local Pep Boys to press the new bearing in

They did just that, charged me $45, only to find out the arm was bent jussssst enough to make it impossible to attach the caliper back on. After inspection, you can clearly see the arm is slightly bent.

So now I'm out $200 and my car is worse off than when I started.

I called Pep Boys and was like "yo, wtf?"
They said I could go grab a used knuckle from a parts yard and they would press the new bearing out of my f'd up knuckle and put it into the parts yard knuckle. Obviously

My friend that is helping me with the install says re-pressing the bearing isn't the best of ideas.

SO: can I get the new bearing re-pressed into a different knuckle? Or should I cut my losses (after I get my $45 back) and just run on the parts yard knuckle/hub/bearing until that goes out?

Tried a search - no luck.

Thanks
-G

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can repress it, but you need to use the old bearing races to press it in and out so that you are pressing on the exact edges of the bearing. Otherwise, pressing in the middle of the bearing will destroy it.

·
Registered
96LX-RIP. 98 Forester L
548 Posts
If you need your car right way I would say run the junkyard knuckle the way it is. In the mean time find someone to remove your new bearing so that way you have it if you need it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts