Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'94 JDM STI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Soo, I've been tired of my windows fogging up the minute some rain comes up. And it being summer, having the heater to full on isn't the most pleasant thing to get rid of it. Not only that, but as soon as I turn it on, the inside of the car, it starts smelling like oregano (really, it smells like seasoning or spices).

Anyways, long story short, I decided to start off by swapping out the cabin filter.

The problem here is (not sure if I'm really that dumb), but I can't find where the filter swaps out. With the help of a few youtube videos I've found that there should be a little panel, that screws down here, after removing the passenger side glove box (highlighted in red):

However, there doesn't seem to be anything that might screw down, the whole thing is one piece:

Any ideas on how I could approach this? Should I screw away the whole unit?

Thanks for your help, guys, much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
You don't have a cabin air filter.

You don't need heat to remove fog from the cabin. Crack the window slightly and turn off recirc, fan on high.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
500 Posts
That location you boxed in red is where the accessory cabin filter would go if you had it installed. The accessory kit calls for that area to be cut out so the filter can be inserted. Then a small removable cover is screwed into place.

DO NOT CUT IT OUT unless you have the kit in your possession!! This kit is by all accounts completely out of stock across the country. There are a couple of threads on here for folks searching for one. I was lucky and managed to buy a brand new one from the dealer about 2 years ago, little did we know the end of line was coming.

·
Registered
'94 JDM STI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would the kit include? I think I might be able to go to a scrapyard and just pull one from a subie that would be scrapped for parts. But I'm not too sure what to get, want to make sure I don't forget anything

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
What would the kit include? I think I might be able to go to a scrapyard and just pull one from a subie that would be scrapped for parts. But I'm not too sure what to get, want to make sure I don't forget anything

If you can find the doors and filter trays in the junkyard, take them. They will be purchased immediately.

You're looking for a slide out unit in the circled area in your previous picture.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
500 Posts
You'll want the metal cover, rubber seal and the sheetmetal nuts. The filter element is still available new.
As Fry said, if you score more than you need, you'll have it sold right away.

·
Registered
'94 JDM STI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be a stupid question here, but if these are so hard to get, perhaps someone tried 3D printing the parts?

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
500 Posts
It wasnt really that expensive of a kit. So folks may really want it, but they dont want it that bad $$$. No idea if the market demand price point would support a 3D printed product.

·
Registered
White 2000 RSTI Coupe
14 Posts
Someone was going to print them and never did

I just deleted the whole thing and used an aftermarket blower that is 1/10th the weight of all that crap :lol:

RACECAR!
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you had a photo and more information on what you did?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts