Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed that I had a leak on the rear side of the oil pan gasket and decided to replace it and the pan (the pan had a good sized dent in it). We were able to get it off and back on for the most part but how do I get the back three bolts back on without taking off that crossmember or whatever it is? Everything I see online is for the wrx/sti.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Honestly there's no good way short of pulling the engine. I removed the engine mount bolts in the subframe and then lifted the engine as far as I could with a hoist, then spent the next seven years of my life swearing at the damn u-joint I had to use to thread them in. Okay, it was more like three hours.

Supposedly early Legacies had holes for those bolts. Why not us Impreza owners, Subaru?

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
1/4" drive, short socket with a Ujoint

If ya REALLY cant get in there.. 2x14mm nuts hold the motor mounts to the subframe.. remove and jack the motor from the front with a 2x4 under the crank pully or just behind it theres 2 freeze plugs that make up a flat spot to jack from..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1/4" drive, short socket with a Ujoint

If ya REALLY cant get in there.. 2x14mm nuts hold the motor mounts to the subframe.. remove and jack the motor from the front with a 2x4 under the crank pully or just behind it theres 2 freeze plugs that make up a flat spot to jack from..

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)
I'm going to try the ujoint method tonight. It's frustrating when I can do a valve cover w/spark plug tube seals faster than a freakin oil pan gasket...

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, got the other bolts in. We should be good to go, thanks for your help.

Future reference for others looking to replace an oil pan/gasket on an 02-07 2.5RS, universal joint works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts