Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 4 channel amp for the interior speakers in my car, but i have a factory sub with a built in amp under the seat. My question is will i have any problems replacing the old amp with the new one due to the wire settings and all that? let me know guys! thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was in a similar situation when I redid my stereo. I basically took out all the seats and carpet. The factory sub is installed in a "piggy through" kind of harness. It pulls power/signal off the standard harness going to the stereo from what I remember (could be wrong). It's pretty easy to uninstall and unplug. After that you need to figure out where you're going to install your amp. I put mine in the trunk. Then, using an install kit you need to run power, RCAs and "control wire"(?) to the amp. Then you need to run wires from the amp to the wiring harness for the speakers. I know that sounds pretty vague, but its the basic idea. I also installed new 6.5s with separate 6.5 woofer/1 tweater and crossovers... I spent about a day doing it, but I bet someone else could do it a lot faster.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions. I guess the answer to your first question is "Yes". The standard head unit has an internal amp, as does the factory subwoofer. An external amp like this would replace the head unit amp so rewiring will be necissary. I'm not sure if you should continue to use the factory sub.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts