Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2000 Subaru Impreza "L" 2.2L sedan threw a P0325 Knock Sensor code the other day, so I've decided to just replace the knock sensor itself.

FWIW, this will be my *first* DIY car project beyond changing wiper blades or putting in a new relay.

Anyway, looks like there are 3 options for buying a new Knock Sensor. Which one should I pursue?

#1. El Cheapo - I'm seeing a no-name part on Amazon for $12 (nothing but 5-star ragings) - http://www.amazon.com/Sensor-Subaru-Forester-Impreza-Outback/dp/B0095S5I3W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3

#2. Mid-Range Price, "OE Spec" @ $63 - 2000 Subaru Impreza Knock Sensor | AutoPartsWarehouse

#3. Bosch Knock Sensor @ $83 - 1999-2002 Subaru Impreza Knock Sensor - Engine Electrical - Bosch 99-02 Impreza Knock Sensor - 379-01047167 - PartsGeek

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a delphi knock sensor from Amazon when I did it for my 2001 2.5L, no issues so far.

Amazon.com: Delphi AS10092 Knock Sensor: Automotive
Why did you go with this brand at this middle range price when you purchased yours?

I'm just curious about the thought process. Since I'm new to DIY repairs, I'm looking for some rules of thumb about ordering new parts when I have some many prices and different brands to choose from.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts
From my experience (and research), Subarus have sensitive parts, like O2 sensors (generally don't like aftermarket) and thermostats (OEM only!). But there are other parts like knock sensors that they seem to be ok with aftermarket versions. I picked the Delphi because I've had good luck with their parts in the past, it was cheaper than OEM, and it was free shipping (Prime). Just my process for better or worse...

People will have different experiences, for me I generally follow the these guidelines.
Spark Plugs = NGK all the way...
Plug Wires = OEM (some people seem to be ok with aftermarket like Bosch)
02 Sensors = OEM (some people seem to be ok with aftermarket)
Thermostat = OEM (OEM, OEM; I haven't seen an aftermarket that worked yet)
Timing Belt Kit = OEM (My preference, I had a Dayco kit with a cracked belt at 20k, seriously pissed me off)
Oil = Pick your poison...
Tranny/Diff Lube = Generally stay away from Mobile 1, subies don't like it, too thin...
Axles = OEM or Reman OEM
General Sensors = Denso, Bosch, Delphi, etc
etc, etc...

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
I don't have a prob with Delphi at all. They actually make OEM parts for many manufacturers anyways. As for many of their aftermarket parts, they are OE quality.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
I don't have a prob with Delphi at all. They actually make OEM parts for many manufacturers anyways. As for many of their aftermarket parts, they are OE quality.
A lot of "aftermarket" parts are made by OE suppliers, so the argument never made sense to me. There are some brands that are reman-only though, and I generally stay away from those. Cardone is the only one off the top of my head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts