Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Silv
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted my taillights with transparent candy apple red spray paint over 4 years ago and they're starting to fade.

My question to you all is how should I remove the previous paint? Should I use paint thinner? Turpentine? I don't want to damage my taillights or any paint if I spill by accident. What's the best method?

And I plan on keeping the taillights intact when I redo these, should I not risk it? I plan on masking the whole back of my car with newspaper so overspray won't be an issue. Should I still not risk it in case of overspray?

·
Registered
'00 RS EG33, '05 STI, '92 SVX
135 Posts
Maybe 3M general adhesive remover.

I can't say if it'll play nice with the spray paint, but it does with the plastic. That's how I got the VHT Night Shades crap off my car from the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I just don't want to deal with the sealant and stuff, it just seems too much of a hassle to me (I did it the first time). I'd like to try to other approach, but just affraid of overspray. Oh well, i'll see.

SO acetone should work best?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump I want to try this today. Maybe a really high rated grit sand paper should take it all off? What do you guys think.

Edit, can't find the thread on how to remove the tail lights..i've become a noob with searching :$

·
Registered
2008 Legacy GT, 2001 2.5RS
1,202 Posts
Pull back the plastic trims in the trunk behind the tail lights. They're little plastic tabs that you pry out. I use two flat heads method.

Pull back the trims and you'll see all bulbs. Look around the bulb holes and you'll see like 8-10 little 8mm nuts. Get a long socket 8mm wrench and get at them. Pull out tail lamps. If your tails have silicone around it, take heat gun or hair dryer works too and melt it off. Unclip the main bulb harness for tail lights.

And that's it. Takes all of 5-8 minutes to do.

·
Registered
2008 Legacy GT, 2001 2.5RS
1,202 Posts
1500 grit. Wet sand. Keep the water going while wet sanding. Then hit it with 2000 grit, also wet. Then some kind of plastic polish. That plasticX stuff from meguires work great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.