Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2000, 2.5 RS, BRP
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just bought new jdm tail lights, installed them about a week ago, and now on my passanger tail light there is a little bit of moisture in the bottom left blinker part.

i kind of reused the black tacky stuff from the old tail lights when i put on the new ones, so im going to totaly remove the old black adhesive and put on some 3m wheather proof black goo and reinstall the lights.

what is the easiest way to remove the little moisture that has been caught in the light before it gets too late?

thanks

· wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
4,729 Posts
you're gonna have to poke around there with some rolled up paper towel. Or, just remove it, sop up as much as you can with the paper towel, then run a hairdryer blasting into the light's innards until it's all dried out.

You need to scrape all the old goo off. Get some new 3m Window Weld (comes in a box, spiraled up for easy application) and slap that on there, call it a day.

· Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,724 Posts
so i just bought new jdm tail lights, installed them about a week ago, and now on my passanger tail light there is a little bit of moisture in the bottom left blinker part.

i kind of reused the black tacky stuff from the old tail lights when i put on the new ones, so im going to totaly remove the old black adhesive and put on some 3m wheather proof black goo and reinstall the lights.

what is the easiest way to remove the little moisture that has been caught in the light before it gets too late?

thanks
Funny... same here...

Less than a week old and passenger light. Can you take pictures of yours? I did the black stuff on them too and it still had the moisture.

· Registered
2000, 2.5 RS, BRP
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i just cleaned out the white part, but there is still moisture in the unreachable red (right side deflector) part of the light..

i also just removed most of the old goo
i got some 3m weatherproofing goo stuff so im going to install them with a lot of the sealer.

· Registered
17,115 Posts
so i just cleaned out the white part, but there is still moisture in the unreachable red (right side deflector) part of the light..

i also just removed most of the old goo
i got some 3m weatherproofing goo stuff so im going to install them with a lot of the sealer.
Rubbing alcohol? Or leave them out in the sun for an hour or so. Or a hairdryer. Or shaking vigorously. :stafiseiz

· The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
10,862 Posts
Call me lazy. I just got a super fine drill bit (think jewelry) and popped holes in the lower edges/bottom of both headlights and taillights and never had a 'weather' problem again! It breathes.:sunny:

· Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,509 Posts
^^^ thats not a bad idea.
I think the JDM lights leak or something. Passenger side in particular. Sunlight doesn't work for anything more than a few drops, I've tried it. I'm liking the hairdryer idea, just be careful you don't melt anything.
Also, I think Autozone sells a sealant that is used for taillights, it is black and gooey.

· wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
4,729 Posts
the correct answer is 3M Window Weld

My JDM tails were installed with the old JDM goo. Of course, it would be home to moisture after a rain. I removed the lights, dried 'em out. I'd advise against putting rubbing alcohol inside the light. The alcohol will dry out the plastic and turn it brittle... or at least something like that happened on an old USDM tail I used to have. It dried the reverse lens out and it looked frosted after that.

So yeah, hairdryer. It's warm air, it ain't gonna melt anything.

I used to have leaky tails, now I don't!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.