Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
07 3.6 4mo passat wagon
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if this is alright to do in all driving conditions....not worried about the intake but water getting on the battery...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
i've had no problems and i've had mine off in all sorts of weather. that being said, i do put them back on during the winter to help keep the engine warm.
 

·
Registered
07 3.6 4mo passat wagon
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
through rain and all, no problems?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
rain, snow, sleet, you name it, i live in the midwest ;) the holes really aren't that big so when you're sitting still not alot actually falls through and when you're moving, well, you have air coming out which is going to deflect alot of water. i've had no problems whatsoever.
 

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
I spaced mine. That way, the help keep stuff from getting into the engine bay too easily, but the air can still get out pretty easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,614 Posts
HondaH8er said:
I spaced mine. That way, the help keep stuff from getting into the engine bay too easily, but the air can still get out pretty easily.
i don't know that i buy that. the air coming through the radiator gets deflected by the engine around the sides and up, which happens to be right where the vents were conveinetly placed ;) the hot air is rising directly at the vents. anything in the way is seriously going to disturb the airflow thus reducing cooling efficency, i suspect.
 

·
Registered
01 2.5RS White - 4EAT
Joined
·
729 Posts
Someone had posted on the other board that they had spaced their vents and the heat was disbursed of quite nicely. He had a pic of his hood covered w/ snow (~1" thick) with a clear path from the vents up the remainder of the hood. Although having them completely opened up is better in terms of letting heat dissipate faster, spacing the plates from the vents work as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
I remember that picture, I thought they where open all the way on that? Oh well, what I'd like to know is what if you have an air filter that sits directly under the vent?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
i personally leave the scoop and drivers side vent open. the passenger side i leave blocked unless its sunny. i have an intake that sits almost directly under the passenger vent and stick with "better safe than sorry".
to make the removal easier, i just leave it clipped in place without the nuts to hold it down. car has seen 110mph with nothing holding the vent down (blocking plate off) but itself and been just fine.
hope this is helpful
 

·
Registered
2004
Joined
·
508 Posts
I call rubbish!!! I have been vent-less for three years now... 2 snow storms... MONSOOM seasons and what not.... christ I even look for puddles.... oh and I blast the motor with a hose every now and then.... obviously when the motor is cold.... its not bad at all.... battery yea yea its fine... everything else... FINE Don't even second guess it its all good


Cooling properties... ahh I don't see any because the minute I bought my car I took of the silly plates... BUT I'm sure that it does help... Does it hurt no way that I see as so far!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
vents/scoop + water = nothing more than a dirty engine

the danger lies in your intake set up.

keep water out of your FENDER and AWAY from your intake...

last thing i would be worried about is the hood...
unless of course water is pouring over it :)

jamie www.subiegalracing.com
 

·
Registered
1993 Impreza L Greyish
Joined
·
1,694 Posts
Yeah just don't go scuba diving with your car like Jamie :biggest:
 

·
Registered
98 imreza rs
Joined
·
6 Posts
Electrical problems

I have my vent guards off, but not my scoop guard. I read in more than one place that you should make sure and waterproof your plugwires before you do this. I have been to lazy to do this. Chances are it wouldn't hurt even if water got onto them, but you never know.
 

·
Registered
2004
Joined
·
508 Posts
Re: Electrical problems

Lavery said:
I have my vent guards off, but not my scoop guard. I read in more than one place that you should make sure and waterproof your plugwires before you do this. I have been to lazy to do this. Chances are it wouldn't hurt even if water got onto them, but you never know.

not to shoot ya down or anything... but you have a good point but from my experiance each time I wash the car I also wash the engine bay... shoot a lil Castrol Super Clean give it a min and then BAM hose that shizz nit off... never had a problem... however when I did the samething to my friends 92' Oldsmobile needed to be dried off before she wanted to get up and going. Which is to say one our cars' aren't Old's so no fret in that area. And two make sure that the sroud aroung the plug is tightly sealed. As in when you replace the spark plugs and re-attach the wires make sure that it goes on tight.

Happy Trails!
 

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
Joined
·
838 Posts
4 yrs vent and scoop-blocker free. I've lived in OH, NY, MISS (gulf coast), TX with no problems. The car has 95000 mi and only one blown MAF (different intake setup). If you have a short ram (cone filter) intake you should be fine in all weather b/c the intake cannot suck enough water to damage your engine (unless you do actually try to scoobadive). With a fender placed CAI (especially cobb or ganzflow, etc) the hood vent wont be your problem, it'll be submerging the end of the filter tube and having no way for the water to escape.

The ONLY side effects to opening the vents/scoop is

1. Dirty Engine bay
2. Negligibly increased drag

edit:


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Is that an IC I see beneath that scoop? What's your setup?


Boy said:
4 yrs vent and scoop-blocker free. I've lived in OH, NY, MISS (gulf coast), TX with no problems. The car has 95000 mi and only one blown MAF (different intake setup). If you have a short ram (cone filter) intake you should be fine in all weather b/c the intake cannot suck enough water to damage your engine (unless you do actually try to scoobadive). With a fender placed CAI (especially cobb or ganzflow, etc) the hood vent wont be your problem, it'll be submerging the end of the filter tube and having no way for the water to escape.

The ONLY side effects to opening the vents/scoop is

1. Dirty Engine bay
2. Negligibly increased drag

[
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top