Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 RS coupe
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as soon as I get the last few items I'll be putting in a fixed seat, 6pt cage. harness, and aftermarket wheel w/quick release. I need to remove the drivers airbag to where I can still pass state inspections and not have an airbag light on. whats the best solution?

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Are you sure you need functioning airbags to pass inspection? I know in MA that airbags and ABS are not mandatory to pass.

·
Vrooom?
98 Subaru 2.5RS Brilliant Red
903 Posts
put a resistor in the connector I think it's a 3.3 ohm resistor...though you may want to double check that.

edit: I checked and yea that's the resistor

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
Im with you Dannyboy. Some cars dont have airbags at all and pass just fine. Unless somehow the light may insinuate that something is wrong with your airbag system and can cause a problem (like maybe deploying) while normal driving. That can be a safety issue. Are you sure it comes up on their little ECU reader? If it doesnt you can just take the bulb out for that particular warning.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
# The airbag light is on in my vehicle, am I going to fail inspection?

No, airbags are not part of the state inspection. We do, however, recommend that you have your vehicle checked if the airbag light is on. For more information about airbags and airbag safety, CLICK HERE.
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/inspection.htm#3

This is at least for MA. I'd assume that most states are like this if MA is ok with it.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
What do they inspect on my vehicle?

* VIN Number/Registration/License Plates
* Windshield
* Wipers/Windshield Washer
* Headlights/Headlight Aim
* Turn Signals/4-Way Flashers
* Tail Lamps/Brake Lights/Backup Lights/Other Lighting Devices
* Horn
* Exhaust System
* Tires
* Body Panels/Fuel Tank
* Service Brake
* Parking/Emergency Brake
* Seat Belts
* Ball Joints/Steering/Suspension
* Emissions Test/Emissions Components (if applicable)
List of things they check in MA. Check out your states regs on this.

·
Registered
99 RS coupe
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I remeber correctly for the state of MO if you car had the options of airbags you can remove it. If it was factory then the system must remain intact.

The only reason why I want to keep the system in is that the seat/harness is for the drivers seat only, so I'd like to keep a functioning airbag for the passangers side.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
If the airbag light is on, none of the bags will deploy. At least put a resistor in the system so the car thinks the bag is still there, and it would deploy for your passenger on the road. No need to endanger anyone else.

*edit*
Ah my post was late. You'll be fine, if you use the little resistor.

·
Registered
2000 WRX/STi Coupe
437 Posts
3.3 ohm resistor is tough to find, you can get 3 10ohm resistors at Radio Shack and twist them all together (wire in parallel) and it will work.

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
I'm from STL, too...

but..

I highly disagree with modifying any part of your SRS airbag system..
==

your skull hitting a roll cage at 80mph = you dead..

==

there is a lot of technology and engineering in a SRS system. why delete that? it's a the best thing about a modern car.. why remove it?

it only weighs 2 lbs, anyway.. just take a shit before you drive.. same difference

==

I'm I-CAR certified in passive safety systems, and a roll cage and harness is a completely different deal than SRS..

roll cages and harnesses are meant to be used in full race environments with the use of a helmet, and preferably a neck support/ Hans device, too.

a roll cage for street use is foolish..

an SRS system is set up to absorb the inertial energy not absorbed by the crumple zones of the car therefore saving your life.

by strapping yourself into the seat of a car, stiffening the chassis even more than engineered with a cage, then driving without a helmet and neck brace, you're asking for trouble..
--

now when you hit something, your crumple zones give way, but the cabin is stiffened, and does not.

this transfers the energy to you..

since you are not free to lunge forward and hit the provided airbag cushion, your body stays planted in the seat.

your head lunges, and snaps forward since your body cannot follow.

since you're driving on the street, you're not wearing a neck brace.

if you're lucky it is a head on collision and your head does not bounce sideways and hit the roll cage behind you.

you're driving on the street, so you weren't wearing a helmet either.

neck and head trauma are.. duh.. deadly..

and by tampering with your SRS airbag system, you've deactivated your passenger's airbag also... basically leaving your girlfriend brain dead, and you with a huge lawsuit..

seriously.. if someone is hurt, and you modified your car's SRS... look forward to lots of legal troubles and debt...

try getting a reputable shop to back up this modification... you'll be signing waivers all over the place to have my shop do that shit to a street car!!!

---
so stop taking the damn airbag out of your car...

that shit is rice, and dangerous...

you have been warned

--

·
Registered
99 RS coupe
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
without going into the long drama of cages in street cars and not being safe and blah blah blah.

-yes it’s a street legal car, but it will be used more for HPDE, PDX and Redline Time Attack next season. Id much rather take my chances getting in a crash with a cage on the streets at 40mph then hitting a wall at over 80mph without one.

-yes its dumb to have a full cage in a car on the street, you risk hitting you head on it like you said on a crash... hence why only a 6pt roll bar is going in.

-the seat belts will remain in the car for street driving, means that at least the belt would take some of the energy

-by putting the resistor in, it will keep the passenger airbag active. I agree that I wouldn’t want to be responsible to hurting anyone riding with me... HENCE WHY IM KEEPING THE BAG ACTIVE! As far as removing the drivers one, thats just a risk that I'm willing to take with myself.

-see your right hand thumb? now sit on it.

·
Registered
2000 WRX/STi Coupe
437 Posts
Airbags are passive restraint systems. They are there in the event the person isn't wearing a seatbelt. I believe that they are dangerous when used with a seatbelt.

I removed mine because I don't want the force of a shotgun fired at my face.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
Airbags are passive restraint systems. They are there in the event the person isn't wearing a seatbelt. I believe that they are dangerous when used with a seatbelt.

lol what? Where are you getting your information from?

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts

In the event a person isn't wearing a seatbelt, the airbag won't even fire in most modern cars. They are there to work in conjunction with seat belts, to slow you and save your life.

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
without going into the long drama of cages in street cars and not being safe and blah blah blah.

-yes it’s a street legal car, but it will be used more for HPDE, PDX and Redline Time Attack next season. Id much rather take my chances getting in a crash with a cage on the streets at 40mph then hitting a wall at over 80mph without one.

-yes its dumb to have a full cage in a car on the street, you risk hitting you head on it like you said on a crash... hence why only a 6pt roll bar is going in.

-the seat belts will remain in the car for street driving, means that at least the belt would take some of the energy

-by putting the resistor in, it will keep the passenger airbag active. I agree that I wouldn’t want to be responsible to hurting anyone riding with me... HENCE WHY IM KEEPING THE BAG ACTIVE! As far as removing the drivers one, thats just a risk that I'm willing to take with myself.

-see your right hand thumb? now sit on it.

so you've gotten this information from an inkling? or real R&D and crash data?

you must not have read what I posted the first time very carefully.

(I'm not saying you're dumb or anything, just misinformed.)

-if you use a harness on the street with no neck brace, you'll snap your neck in a collision.

-if you use a roll cage on the street without a helmet (no matter the seat belt situation), you'll crack your skull in a collision.

-if you modify your SRS system and your passenger is injured, you'll get sued and lose.

-in order for the passenger to reach the airbag upon a collision, and have their inertial energy aborbed by it, they'd need to be wearing a stock seatbelt. but wearing a stock seatbelt with a cage can crack your skull, so they wear a harness and snap their neck, never reaching the airbag that could save their life.

---
placing a $.02 resistor in your airbag circuit is NOT the answer to any of these problems.

(in fact it's prolly just ammo for the prosecution to use against you that you willfully tampered and modified the SRS without any training or cerifications)

trusting your life and your passenger's life to your own handiwork is something hot rodders do all the time, not always sucessfully.

Learning about safety and making it a priority is something any veteran car modifier or car builder will tell you to do. Safety always comes first.

Like I said before, if you paid a reputable shop to do this, they'd either tell you to go somewhere else, or make you sign a waiver that the car is NOT safe for street use.

Having a fast dangerous car isn't cool. it's the making of a disaster, and rationalizing the danger, doesn't make it go away.

don't complain to me when your girlfriend is paralyzed and you're sued for it, and lose.
--

I'm telling you as a I-CAR Platinum Cartified Technician, who is certified in basic, and advanced passive safety restraint systems that the combination of a roll cage and harness is ONLY OK with the use of a helmet and neck brace... full race setup

You cannot blend race safety, and street safety.. they are NOT compatible... either use your full SRS system (which is 5 stars!!), or go FULL RACE setup all the time.. there is no safe combination of the two....

now you have been informed of the dangers you're imposing upon yourself and your passengers.

you should inform any passengers of the risks of riding in your car before they hop in and assume it's safe..

(ps. with a roll cage, passengers in the rear seat are definately not allowed without helmets!!)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts