Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 subaru 2.5rs 4dr
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I will be rolling my fenders soon do to my new tire setup. my question is because my lip will be rolled up I will no longer be able to clip the fender liner on, so I'll be driving without fender liners. will I damage any of the wires under the front fender, I don't drive off rode I only drive on streets.

I basically looking for some input to see if anyone has caused damage to their car by not having fenders liners.

Thanks

·
Banned
2001 BRP Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
796 Posts
I have had my fender liners off since, I want to say 2-3 years? and still no problems yet. I do once and a while wash off the dirt and grim under the inside of the fender.

Haha, with that being said will you be selling the liners :p? Taking photos from the side isn't as pretty when theres something hollow and empty.

·
Registered
1999 ver7 coupe
504 Posts
Just take a dremel and cut out the top of the liner where it clips to the fender at the top...I have a small 1/2" gap between the liner and the fender along the top where it's cut but it's still clipped in lower down where you don't have to roll. No tire clearance issues, stays in fine, looks normal....no downsides.

If you take off the liners you do run the (small) risk of projecting a rock or other debris into your wiring harness and/or splashing water into your intake.

·
Registered
Lifted 2014 Crosstrek
866 Posts
And some of those lines are for the airbag are they not? Something you reallllllly dont want to nail with a rock! I say just cut the lines to fit like aspect says.

·
Registered
2000 subaru 2.5rs 4dr
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just take a dremel and cut out the top of the liner where it clips to the fender at the top...I have a small 1/2" gap between the liner and the fender along the top where it's cut but it's still clipped in lower down where you don't have to roll. No tire clearance issues, stays in fine, looks normal....no downsides.

If you take off the liners you do run the (small) risk of projecting a rock or other debris into your wiring harness and/or splashing water into your intake.
i think in going to do this, thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
^^^Definately the way to go. Trim it as needed, but don't remove them completely. We've had rocks and other debris make the most awful noise when it gets wedged between the doors and sills. Not to mention the somewhat important wiring that is run under the fenders.

·
Registered
GM6
121 Posts
Yes, trim and make it fit.

I have reverse dents in my fenders. The previous owner must have had the liners out and caught a rock that shot up and put a dent in the top of the fender. The dents annoy me just because I know they were completely preventable.

·
Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
3,294 Posts
One of the airbag sensors is in there, I dont know what would happen if that took a direct hit from a rock, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I had a bad experience with running no fender liners. It was the combination of no fender liners and running a Cobb CAI (pulls directly from fender. I ended up sucking water into the intake. End result: Blown MAF sensor and jumped timing (luckily no valve damage).

If you are running a CAI, just be very careful in the rain/wet. With a stock intake, I'd think it would be fine. Removed fender liners do put in in another class for SCCA FYI.

Now I run with the fender liners in even though they are kinda torn up from running larger tires.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I removed my fender liners. It sucks when your driving in the rain because all of the sand and road grime just sticks in the fender closest to the door. Just be sure to wash it good when your at the car wash. I always use the wax spray at the power wash and spray inside the fenders. I don't have any rust issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts