Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
01 2.5RS GC8
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all guys, im sorry for buying an automatic subie. idk what i was thinking. :drunk:
anyways, i was at autozone and i saw an automatic shifter replacement. its a shell casing for a .44 magnum and the top unscrews and theres a little "secret compartment" in there.

who wouldnt pass that up?

so i was trying to take my stock one of the other day (01 2.5rs) and i took out the two screws but i couldnt pull the thing out? i tried pushing the button and what not but nothin came. so i was thinking maybe i have to take out the entire center console? i figured i would ask the pros before i went an fucked shit up in my car trying to figure out how to do it.

sorry its kind of a stupid question just lmk what you guys know

thanks

·
Registered
01 2.5RS GC8
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i tried it anyways and i snapped the little plastic piece that engages my transmission so i can get it in and out of park. now i have to replace the entire shifter assembly. i can replace my suspension but i cant take off a shifter knob? fml

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
957 Posts
hahaha, what happened to you is what ive been through.. Ive also got an auto shifter that i altered :p

Anyway, you can tape back the little thing ( the shift lock thing) and it will hold it back for however long (mine still hasnt budged... yet) and you will be able to shift. You'll have to open up the shifter area though (screws by the armrest) and just take it apart so you'll be able to get to the shift lock... you'll see it when you open it up.

See my amazing Razo shifter? Lol.

The only downside to this is you won't have a shift lock anymore. Your shifter will just shift back and forth by just pulling and pushing it, no brake holding required. So you can drive it, but be careful with that shifter or you'll do some hardcore damage.

·
Registered
99 impreza RS
394 Posts
you can even get a shift boot + trim for a manual rs and make it looks like a manual :p
i done it i took the locking safety pin out so i can shift up and down without pressing the bottom and park in "3" gear ( the "p" ) lol

·
Registered
01 2.5RS GC8
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i guess what i want to know is where is this locking pin? ill take it out? and that diy link just took me to the fourms lol?

·
Registered
99 impreza RS
394 Posts
lol i dunno look for a 4eat loser mod haha

if you have 98-00 the newer GC
1. you want to take your shifter trim out
2. take the PRND321 plate out there should be 4 clips
3. then 6 bolts to hold the shifter well u dont have to but it will make the jod easier
4. press your button your should see where the button hook up to the safety pin
5. look close you should see a metal pin/bar the lock the shifter and the shift knob
6. take it out heck it whatever works
7.there is a switch that stop you from taking your keys out unless you are in park, you have to tape it down

·
Registered
99 impreza RS
394 Posts
but i no longer have my auto so i cant take pics i should of do a write up :/

but take me some pictures i can show u what i m talking about

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
957 Posts
ok so heres my deal lol

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: omfgt.jpg

how would i tape that and how would i lock it up?
Whoops, shoulda mentioned... I didn't re-tape back the old shifter. I had also broke off that plastic piece, thats why i kept the new shifter i got. The thing you tape is like.. underneath the cover of the trim of the gears lol

·
Registered
01 2.5RS GC8
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright so i took out the pin and taped down the "button" which looked more like a white lever to me and my key came out fine. then i was pumped so i put everything back together and drove off to the dealership to get a replacement and when i went to shut my car off and take the key out i coudlnt take it out. so when i got home i checked to see if the tape came off.. it was still there i tried pushing the button up and down a couple times but the key just wont budge so i just disconnected the battery untill i can figure it out. if anybody knows whats up of if i taped the wrong button plz lmk

·
Registered
99 impreza RS
394 Posts
you have to play with the button
it happen on me too,

just go "p" and "R" play with it look at the white lever
make sure the senor is off so u can take you key out
then tape it down

it is hard to explain but if u play with it u will know what i mean

edit: if u look closer to the white lever it should hit the metal switch right?
I think i taped that so the switch stay touching all the time or the other way around

1 - 20 of 26 Posts