Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed a Python 872 remote start/alarm system in my RS. The alarm works great but I'm having issues getting the remote start working.

As you know, our cars have a delayed dome light switch when they have not been armed by the factory alarm. This delay is causing my new alarm system to think one of the doors is open when I activate the remote start, causing it to disable the remote start whenever I try and activate it.

I called Directed Electronics (they make the python alarms) and they said that I would need to install a relay in order to isolate the dome light loop from the door pin switches, but I have no clue how to do this.

Has anyone else encountered this problem while installing a remote start in their RS? Does it only happen with models with a factory alarm system? Does anyone know where I could put this relay that Directed was talking about?

Any help or link to info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vehicle/alarm specifics:

-2001 RS w/ factory alarm (the one with the big siren under the hood)
-Python 872 alarm

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I just installed (3 months ago) a Python alarm (with remote start) in both my 00Rs and my wifes 04FXT.
I'm not running into this problem. I wonder what I did different? I'll have to look at my install notes to see what I did, and why I don't have this issue.

As for what DEI is sugesting you do, I think they intend for you to actually cut the link between the door pin and the dome light, then use a relay to regain the dome light function. I think...

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i tapped the one that's linked to all 4 doors for alarm purposes. I'll have to talk to my friend for more specifics, he hooked up that part.

Skidd, did you install a python with a specific manual mode for the remote start? there may be a some differences between your model and mine. Mine is the 872. Also, did you 00 RS have a factory alarm? Can you recall if your python turns off the dome light when you arm it?

Ideally, I'd like the new alarm to function like the factory alarm, turning off the dome light when the car is armed.

·
Registered
2005 Acura NSX
1,056 Posts
I'm not having this issue either. Unless you want illuminated entry don't bother hooking into anything dome light related on our cars. There is a plug near the fog light/cruise buttons which is the factory security plug. One of the wires in there monitors all doors. Hook into that one and problem solved.

I don't have a factory security system though, so depending on where you hooked it up that could be the issue.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i'll have to try that, thanks!

Anyone else have any helpful tidbits? Where did you guys hook up the door pin wire for the new alarm...did everyone go where 99 rs did?

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,815 Posts
I'm not having this issue either. Unless you want illuminated entry don't bother hooking into anything dome light related on our cars. There is a plug near the fog light/cruise buttons which is the factory security plug. One of the wires in there monitors all doors. Hook into that one and problem solved.

I don't have a factory security system though, so depending on where you hooked it up that could be the issue.
That's what I was getting at. Consider my thunder stolen :lol:.

·
Premium Member
99 RS, 01 RS, 01 Forester S
1,636 Posts
If I understand you right, your dome light is coming on when you remote start your vehicle. In return, because of the dome light coming on, the remote starter shuts off.

Bosch relay isolation of door trigger

87a - door trigger from car
30- door trigger input from alarm
86- small fused 12v constant source (red wire from the remote starter)
85- negative out while remote remote starting
(I think the wire color is blue its been two years.) The wire needs to throw a negative signal prior to the remote start and stay on during the remote start.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
i tapped the one that's linked to all 4 doors for alarm purposes. I'll have to talk to my friend for more specifics, he hooked up that part.

Skidd, did you install a python with a specific manual mode for the remote start? there may be a some differences between your model and mine. Mine is the 872. Also, did you 00 RS have a factory alarm? Can you recall if your python turns off the dome light when you arm it?

Ideally, I'd like the new alarm to function like the factory alarm, turning off the dome light when the car is armed.

Oop.. I should have said Viper. It was a Viper 560XV. Still a DEI model though.

I did have to tie into the neutral switch in my 5spd trans. I had to put in a 5v relay switch since the neutral safety switch to the ECU is a 5v line and the +- sequence was reverse to what the Viper alarm expected. I also had to trick the clultch pedal switch to allow the engine to crank too. Wasn't too tricky. So.. yeah.. it won't start in gear anyway.. thank goodness for that.

As for the dome light... I'll have to go check it out. I know it was a simple setup though. Perhaps this model of Viper alarm simply knows how to compensate for a delayed dome light?

Oh yeah, and no my 00RS did not have a factory alarm. The FXT did, but I removed it completely before starting the Viper install. And the FXT is an Automatic.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I understand you right, your dome light is coming on when you remote start your vehicle. In return, because of the dome light coming on, the remote starter shuts off.
Just to clarify, what's happening is the system has a shutdown procedure for the remote start, this part activates just fine. The car remains running when i take out the key and exit the vehicle. However, when I press the arm button, the system give me an error that the remote start has been disabled.

The DEI rep explained to me that it's because it sees that the dome light is on (it is) and therefore deactivates the remote start.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey this is Josh's friend who installed the system. To be more specific, pretty much every time he mentioned the "dome light wire" he really meant the "door trigger" wire. I tapped it under the dash right by the kick panel. I believe it was a yellow wire. I've thought of simply unplugging the factory alarm module and seeing what happens, the comfort closure feature of the car may be built into that box.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
Ah.. ok .. door trigger... now we're making some headway.
But... the door trigger should not stop the remote start? You can get in and out of your car and the remote start is unaffected. And then, when arming your car, if the alarm detects the door is open (dome light on), then it should simply bypass that zone until it is ready. Although, my system for what ever reason doesn't have this issue. It's odd that the Python model you have does.

So... the alarm is seeing the door trigger due to the dome light. And as a result, it's killing the remote start.

I just checked my 00RS, and it doesn't have a delay dome light. Go figure. My wifes FXT does have a delay dome light. And when I arm the car, it doesn't have any negative affects. Go figure. It must be a model difference in the alarm.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay, new question, is there any way to remove the factory alarm entirely. I did a little more research and I found out that the factory alarm on my year is made by code alarm. Ideally, I'd just like to work off my new alarm, instead of always having to use the original key fob when i disconnect the battery or something.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
There must be. When I bought my 00RS, I opted to NOT get the factory alarm since I was going aftermarket from the start. When I installed the alarm in my Wifes FXT, it was a matter of removeing the Alarm brain, and the remote-entry brain. Then,, wiring the alarm in their place. It should be similar to remove the alarm in your 01RS. Do you have the Factory Service Manual for your car?

Link to the FSM thread.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73249

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks a lot skidd. Poleboy responded to my other thread, so i'll post what he said for posterity: "Yah there is a starter interupt plug that goes from the keyless entry module to the ignition wires near the steering column. Unplug the male and female plugs from the starter interrupt harness and then connect the starter wires together w/o the interrupt harness in between."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts