Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MTL and MT-90...
ppl r givng me different feedback as far as choice goes...
what would u choose?

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I got a clash when shifting after I switched to Redline in the tranny, I had to switch to the SuperLight ShockProof. It did wonders.

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
just a bit confused

So which one did u use 1st?

Why superlight shockproof?

my friend's advice was to use MTL first.

Please brief me on this THanks...

my current problem with tranny is tha I sometimes miss shift and often get grind when I put on 1st gear ( at stop or <5 )

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
At fist I used 75W90 NS and got some gear clash unless I was very deliberate in my shifting then went to the Shockproof.

Look here:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html

PS I don't think you will prevent the clash when you are shifting to first if you haven't stopped. If it happens when you are stopped then the Shockproof might help.

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I guess...

I guess i'll try shockproof

btw........should fluid be on rear differential changed at the same time also? Minez MY99 so it has open differential....

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I did my rear at the same time too.

PS the shockproof should help with a 4 - 5 clash I had that too

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I use lightweight shockproof for my tranny and 75w90ns for my rear differential. I like the slick shifts I get while driving normally, but it's designed for tranny abuse... and I do that too without problems.

MT-90 is a GL-4 (our tranny's require a GL-5). I used that stuff before and my tranny wouldn't want to go into gear especially into 1st gear at 0 mph. I hated the shit it wouldn't allow me to do.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i have 75W90 in both my tranny and rear diff. i found that the shifts were a bit smoother, especially the ones that are usually a bitch (down to first and reverse). i have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Per Redline Oil , 75w90 has friction additives for limited slips and 75w90NS is for manual trannies. This is my setup, and it is pretty sweet!

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
bvondran said:
Per Redline Oil , 75w90 has friction additives for limited slips and 75w90NS is for manual trannies. This is my setup, and it is pretty sweet!
When I put in the 75w90NS I couldn't shift w/out getting a grind. Went to the shockproof and it went away.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza RS
586 Posts
bvondran said:
I use this combo as well and I'm very pleased with it.

Nick C.
Yeah it's 3.7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts