Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 2.5 RS Black
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched around and found some older threads from a few years ago but wanted to get some up to date info. Essentially I'm in need of a decent torque wrench that is durable, accurate, and won't break the bank. I'm going to do the shifter bushing install along with replacing the shifter joint and rear subframe locks in the next couple of weeks so it needs to be able read below 25ft/lbs. However I would also like to be able to torque my wheels to spec when I replace the rear rotors and pads. Am I looking at two wrenches, one for light and one for heavy application or is there one that can cover the the entire spectrum? Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
Two different ones will be needed.

1/2 for wheels and 3/8 or 1/4 that reads in inch pounds.

I recommend harbor frieght for cheap and pretty accurate.

Chraftsman the plastic lock ring gets brittle and will break.

The ones at lowes kolbolt brand is as expensive as craftsman but they have a metal lock ring.

·
Premium Member
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
My 1/2 inch drive Craftsman (click type) goes down to 20 ft.lbs. IIRC. The lock ring is crap, mine broke within a few months. Now it just spins around and around never locking.

You really dont want to use a 1/2 drive on anything under 14mm. Especially when you have a foot and half of leverage.

Also i think its 25 foot pounds on the 1/2 but i would never use a half inch drive for something that low in torque value.

Its about using the correct tool for the job. Not what you can get away with because itll bite you in the ass eventually.

·
Registered
01 RS
170 Posts
You really dont want to use a 1/2 drive on anything under 14mm. Especially when you have a foot and half of leverage.

Also i think its 25 foot pounds on the 1/2 but i would never use a half inch drive for something that low in torque value.

Its about using the correct tool for the job. Not what you can get away with because itll bite you in the ass eventually.
That is so true, learned that lesson many years ago. I have an old beam style that I use for anything that's under about 30 ft.lbs most of the stuff I do torque isn't that low though. Never could justify buying an inch pound torque wrench since I have a use for one maybe once every few years so I just borrow one if I really need it.

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
I have a 3/8'' and a 1/2'' from harbor freight. Even though the torque wrench says 10-150 ft. lbs. doesn't mean it's accurate at all the torque ranges it covers. IIRC, the HF ones are accurate to +/- 2%, which should be good for what everyone outside a professional machine shop needs.

~Josh~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.