Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1998, 2.5 RS IMPREZA, BLUE+GLD
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm looking for rebuilt motors but not sure where the best place is to look to buy one outright. (or don't have enough time to research for one i know i can trust :/ ) Is there any cost effect way to do this for our cars?

I have a 1998 impreza 2.5 rs, vin JF1GM6754WG401452

I need to replace the head gaskets, believe the block might be cracked/warped and decided that since it's 170k+ miles I'll just spend the money to make a reliable rig to get me through the next 150k miles of school and work.

edit, The short story: after a front end collision i replaced the radiator, timing belt, cover, hoses, valve cover gaskets (missing a few?) and it started overheating. I replaced the thermostat, and problem persisted. I kept filling it with coolant, but between working and university haven't had time to really get in there and it's experienced many over-heatings. Now that it's too late do i realize those are the same symptoms others have with bad heads, doh.. I had assumed it was some complication with the collision this while time.
But seeing as i'm going to put well over another 100k on the car, I might as well look for a reliable long term option.

I have (not personally) the capability to perform the replacement so part's cost and time are my main concern.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
thats a short block that wont do anything to solve a head related issue, and if heads are cracked, they will also need replacement

start with the basics...fully drain, fill, burp cooling system

pouring out the bottom from where?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes i've fully drained and replaced it a few times :/

If i'm pulling the motor to replace the heads, I wouldn't mind replacing it with a rebuilt motor. perhaps i'm asking the question wrong…
I
'm not sure yet, the front end by the cover I believe but I haven't had a chance to look closely.

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,815 Posts
Since you have a '98 you have the awesome EJ25D which is known for leaky headgaskets from the factory :). Unless you've overheated it it's most likely not warped thankfully.

Didn't you used to be a premie?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you have a '98 you have the awesome EJ25D which is known for leaky headgaskets from the factory :). Unless you've overheated it it's most likely not warped thankfully.

Didn't you used to be a premie?
Yeah, a while back :)

I put a nice short story as to why it is most likely warped.

I shall buy an "updated gasket that is not prone to failure" that wiki told me is available somewhere lol

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
He did in fact have premium once, then he posted an awesome video, then someone told someone else about the video and all hell broke loose. Then no more video.

As for rebuilt motors, DIY.

Personally, i would buy a used motor, swap it in, rebuild your current motor to better than factory specs. Then swap again and sell the used motor for what you paid for it.

I ran out of money at the buy a used motor step so i am running a crappy piston slapathon motor while my old motor sits with a bad bearing inside.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
if its at the front cover, perhaps its water pump related. Did you replace the pump when you did the timing belt?

the 98 headgasket issues tend to not show any external leaks....so if you're literally spilling water visibly, something is cracked. If you're lucky, its the pump housing. Is it heat/time related, or will it just spill whatever you pour in even without the engine running?

if you need the headgasket kit, let us know

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
if its at the front cover, perhaps its water pump related. Did you replace the pump when you did the timing belt?

the 98 headgasket issues tend to not show any external leaks....so if you're literally spilling water visibly, something is cracked. If you're lucky, its the pump housing. Is it heat/time related, or will it just spill whatever you pour in even without the engine running?

if you need the headgasket kit, let us know
That's a good point! It could be the water pump, that'd be nice..

Usually it was heat/time related, (gaskets?)
But the last fill it spilled out without it running (cracked) so I got it towed to my garage and haven't gotten to look since.

Thanks for the help z1 I will let you know

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He did in fact have premium once, then he posted an awesome video, then someone told someone else about the video and all hell broke loose. Then no more video.
Sigh... That moment you realize you're not as dumb as your 18year old self anymore :')
good times, and still more to learn :D

Personally, i would buy a used motor, swap it in, rebuild your current motor to better than factory specs. Then swap again and sell the used motor for what you paid for it.
But I haven't that much time :/ I'm hoping to find a company that sells rebuilt ones

1 - 13 of 13 Posts