Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i spun a bearing in my original motor, i replaced it with another used motor that sounds like **** and runs even worse.

I want to rebuild but the parts for a proper rebuild appear to be in the $800 range.

I figure a gasket kit including head gaskets, a bearing kit, new head studs and the machine work because if i am taking the heads off i am going to clean them up will cost me more than double what i paid for the motor.

Is there any place that sells all that stuff (minus the machine work) for a lot cheaper?

Thanks.

Chris

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Subarupartsforyou.com
Gasket set - $269
Bearing Set Connecting Rods - $129
Bearing Set Crank - $152
Piston Rings - $165
Head Studs - $5 each

Machine shop will be at least $200

Total of about $975.

I'm sure I am forgetting something as well.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****, i forgot new rings!

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
split the block and inspect it before you do anything, might not be worth saving.

that said.

I spend a lot at flatirons. Your other cheaper options would be non-oem parts.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,261 Posts
Third for flatirons. Stick with OEM.
But like joshua said, check your specs first. Turning a crank for oversize bearings or milling the block for true or even a funny bore dictating oversize pistons could ruin a budget.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Id buy everything OEM except bearings, ACL/King bearings are half the price of subaru bearings and are made 100x better. Just do the absolute minimum to resurface the block and heads, then be done with it.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well if the bearing that went was on the block and not the rod then it's garbage. If it is a rod bearing i will just replace the crank and such with something someone else took out and isn't using, should be cheap enough.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Id buy everything OEM except bearings, ACL/King bearings are half the price of subaru bearings and are made 100x better. Just do the absolute minimum to resurface the block and heads, then be done with it.
I wish I could say I agree with you, but it's not even remotely the case. Even when it comes to cost...because sometimes it takes multiple sets of an aftermarket bearing just to get a set that is suitable enough to use. Crappy, but it happens all the time. It's just part of assembly

The bearing you use is far less than important than who does your clearancing, balancing and blueprinting. This is the the stuff you need to be anal about - the temperature and humidity under which you check clearances (of the parts out of the box as well as the bearings), check torque specs...not the particular bearing A vs bearing B. Alot of guys skip this step, or minimize it's importance, and do things in their garage one day with it raining outside, basement the next with the air conditioning on, and then wonder why they are spinning bearings in the a few thousand miles regardless of their oil choice (and then proceed to blame the oil, the filter, the bearing, the rod, the piston, the moon...instead of the installer, and specifically the procedural choices they made). The best bearing is not going to outlive the wrong install.

With that said, are there differences? Yes...and it's not so much in the durability side of things, but rather, their out of the box spec. The ACL, across their range, tend to have a bit wider of a variance more frequently. Impossible to account for? Nope, not at all. But there are differences among ANY brand, I don't care who makes em. Sometimes you get a great batch, sometimes you don't, it comes with the territory. The fact of the matter is any of these bearings, including "plain" ordinary stock ones, can work and succeed with even the hardest core, highest rpm builds. But you have to map it out carefully, and not cut corners when it comes to assembly conditions and procedures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts