Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a set of KYB AGX with GC 7" springs. Rear left strut has blown, and the entire system has unknown mileage on them. What makes most sense, bang for buck? To replace all struts with KYB AGX struts (~$400), replace entire strut/spring combo from JDM reseller (used unknown mileage, TEIN/KSPORT/MEGAN/Rando JDM Strut ~$250-500), Attempt to rebuild KYB AGX strut(s) ($ unknown, prob <$100), or look in another direction.

I know the AGX's are considered to be non-rebuildable. However, with a hacksaw and a welder, anything can be done. It's basically just new o-rings and oil as far as I can tell. This would also give me the ability to choose the weight oil I am looking for.

The car is DD but driven hard on-road. In years when there is snow, it's in the mountains for 20-30 days driven hard off-road. Eventually it'll be autox and rallyx.

-TC

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
AGX are warranted for life. Get replacements for free.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They came on the car when I bought it 4 years ago, and I have no paperwork or receipt of their purchase. Unless they will warranty them no questions asked, I think I'm up **** creek with this set.

-TC

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
AGX are not rebuildable - sure it's a series of o rings, and oil, trying to find said o rings may be the challenging thing, not to mention servicing the check valve- that's the thing that makes a shock serviceable vs non, just the same as some coilovers are serviceable and many others are not

They are warrantied for life to the original buyer, when purchased from an authorized dealer

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I forgot about the check valve/internal valving. I'm thinking simplistically with just oil and o-rings.

Guess that leaves me in the same place. Aftermarket JDM imported struts/springs (usually TEINs), replace all KYB AGX's, or ride on blown strut(s) for a couple of years till I can afford Tokico D Specs? The JDM import I plan on rebuilding (will not buy used non-rebuildable struts).

On a side note I'm using the 6 or 7" ground control springs. Has anyone seen an improvement from bumping up to the 9 or 10" ones? What other 9 or 10" springs with 2.5" ID would be worth running?

-TC

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
DSpecs are long since discontinued

GC uses Eibach race springs - you are not going to find any appreciable difference if you change to Swift, or H&R, or Hypercoil, etc on a street car running street tires on a relatively speaking low end shock.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DSpecs are long since discontinued

GC uses Eibach race springs - you are not going to find any appreciable difference if you change to Swift, or H&R, or Hypercoil, etc on a street car running street tires on a relatively speaking low end shock.
Is this a decent time to upgrade to GD suspension then?

-TC

·
I &#10084; BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Buy a new strut from Tire Rack.com, call them and inform them of a warranty return, pack the old strut in the box and mail it back for a full refund.

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't see how a GD suspension is any sort of upgrade?
Jesus ****ing christ you're not much help.

GD would mean more competition, more selection, better prices... no?

I'd love to throw on some BC coilovers, but considering I built my car for under $3,000, it seems like an exercise in futility to throw the same amount at suspension. I either get to spend $500 on a full set, spend $500 + x to rebuild a used set, or wait until I'm living off of more than $700 a month to buy into something decent for about $1200

-TC

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buy a new strut from Tire Rack.com, call them and inform them of a warranty return, pack the old strut in the box and mail it back for a full refund.

Perhaps. Would lead to a spare set for a future build if nothing else (I assume it's not a refund but store credit/direct swap)

-TC

·
I &#10084; BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
If you put grease fittings in them, they last for quite some time. For the money, its a fantastic strut to put on the car, cheap, reliable, rebuild able and you cut down on unsprung weight.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
just looking at the overall cost though to acquire a set, + the rear mounts + rebuild + shipping both ways + downtime if you don't have a second set to run..idk, it just doesn't jump off the page as being that terrific of an option. You quickly approach the cost of a new set of Koni's, which would work great with his existing GC sleeves and springs. Plus new springs for the GC are cheaper than aftermarket springs (new) and a far greater range of rates available (if needed)

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
They came on the car when I bought it 4 years ago, and I have no paperwork or receipt of their purchase. Unless they will warranty them no questions asked, I think I'm up **** creek with this set.

-TC
AGX are not rebuildable - sure it's a series of o rings, and oil, trying to find said o rings may be the challenging thing, not to mention servicing the check valve- that's the thing that makes a shock serviceable vs non, just the same as some coilovers are serviceable and many others are not

They are warrantied for life to the original buyer, when purchased from an authorized dealer
Perhaps. Would lead to a spare set for a future build if nothing else (I assume it's not a refund but store credit/direct swap)

-TC
Somewhere i made a thread about this, but here is the deal.

I bought a used set of AGX from some guy on the forums. 3 months in one of them went.

I called and asked where he got them, and he had no idea. So i called tirerack and told them the place i bought them from was out of business and asked if they would honor the warranty.

Tire rack had me order a new one and provided me with an RMA for the old one. I ordered and paid, then shipped the old one back. They credited my credit card for both the cost of the unit and shipping. They told me shipping would not be covered but they covered it anyway.

As the other 3 blew i did the same thing.

All four were covered.

I am a tire rack customer for life as their customer service is unbeatable.

·
Baby&#10084;Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
well fukk me. i'm doing this now for my two rears that i blew. :banana:

·
I &#10084; BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Thats exactly what i did, the place i scored mine from a few years back went under, tire rack told me the same thing.

·
Baby&#10084;Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
even more score....just called my parts girl at AZ..she will do the same thing for me. no down time!! :banana:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts