Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the things that's kind of been a hassle on fixing this car has been the window trim stuff. The front windshield needed to be replaced when I got this car and ever since there's just been a slew of problems. Mostly, due to these little clips... and today's problem is no exception.

Quick introduction, since I haven't been on here very long... this is my Project Car. Saved from years of neglect and mistreatment, it has been quite the adventure already. It's a 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe.

The rear trim piece that goes over the top of the rear window got replaced when I redid the passenger side trim after a windstorm ripped it off and bent it in half on the interstate (bit of a scary event). The previous trim piece was all weather beaten and falling apart anyways, so I replaced it as I did the rest of it.

The previous piece, however, was embedded into the seal around the rear windshield. There were literally indentations/spaces left over from the previous trim piece. I lined up the new piece as best I could but could never quite get it to stay clipped in. Once again, that Nebraska wind decided to rip that piece off, and a Bumper-hugging Civic ran it over. So now, not only do I need to order another new rear trim piece, but I need to figure out how to get it to clip in tight and secure so this doesn't happen again.

Any and all help/suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
Do they clip in the same way the runners along the sides of the roof and sides of the windshield do? I had an issue where some parts became unclipped. I took a small flat head and slip them to where they would line up appropriately with the opening on the other side. Once down flush I would slide the screw driver back in order to lock them in place. It's a pain in the ass but seems to be the only way to get them to stay secured. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1999 RSTi coupe
402 Posts
Hmm, sounds like they are different. I'll have to take a closer look cause both my front and rear trims are looking rough and i'm wanting to replace them as well.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have the camera with me right now, but it's not so much the clips I'm worried about... I think the culprit is the window seal that had previously surrounded and pretty much encased the clips that were in there before. I think I need to trim that back, but I don't wanna mess with window seal too much. Already fixed a huge rust problem on the front windshield carried over from the previous owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts