Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems as if my right wheel bearing is about to go. Where is a good place to get a replacement(ie. order online), I've seen them on subaruparts.com? Any other ideas of where to check? I figure I'll go ahead and do both of the rears at the same time.

Buster

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
If I remember correctly I think that there was a thread on i-club a while back about replacing the RS wheel bearings with Legacy bearings that were much stronger. Just a suggestion. you could probably get them from http://allsubaru.com/

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i went through 5 rear bearings in under 20k. finially, the midwest rep authorized the dealer to replace both rear hubs. problem solved.

the legacy and WRX (IIRC) bearings are much stronger. I'm sure you could also get some decent bearings for a rally car or something.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Peaty.

Nothing went as planned today. Taking apart everything(suspension, control arms) went fine. Then pressing out the drive axle spline was easy also. I couldn't press out the old wheel bearing housing, also couldn't remove the outside sleeve off of the axle spline. That was with using a nice 50,000 lb press. Since that happened I said the hell with it and cleaned up the old housing replaced just the bearings and greased everything up. I figure this fix might last me 10k miles, I plan on getting another hub assembly to replace mine since we noticed mine was warped/bent.

To top off my day when I was replacing some wheel studs I broke the abs sensor ring.

If I had to do this all over again I would have taken everything apart then taken it to a machine shop and let them do the actual replacing of the bearing, I never want to work on one of these friggin bearings again. I see why the dealer would want so much.

Tired/Pissed,
Buster

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Buster,

Sorry to hear things went so tough. I understand how it goes sometimes though. I have a feeling I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer sometime after the holidays. If it were warmer here I'd try to do it maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts