Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I notice that growing hummmmmm again in the rear of my car. I know exactly what it is, a rear wheel bearing. It's not loud enough at this point for me to tell which side but I'm sure I'll soon find out. I think it may be the right side. :(

My issue with this is that I just replaced the right wheel bearing not even six months ago, to the tune of 300 bux. :curse:

IF it turns out to be the left one then I'll be okay with it, but if not- what could be the problem??

I don't rally or drive crazy (not all the time ) and I do really good maintenance on the car. Any suggestions/advice you could give me would be great. Thanks.

Brandee

·
Registered
174 Posts
not very encouraging news... :( What year is your car? Wasn't there a recall for the right front bearing a few years ago?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i take it your warranty is up. when i got my car, every 6000 miles like clockwork the rear bearings would go. when the dealer was replacing my 5th one at 18k, the regional rep gave them the ok to go ahead and replace both rear hub assemblies. now, the car is at 24k with no problems.

basically, the problem with the bearings is two-fold. first, subaru went cheap and used caged bearings instead of the much stronger tapered roller bearings used on the WRX (all years) and legacy (good junkyard part if you have a press). the second issue has to do with how they're carried, i believe. basically, with sealed bearings they have to be well greased since there is no way to service them. some of them were not greased well enough at the factory and have led to premature failure. so then joe q. auto tech goes to replace them. well, most dealer mechanics are trained well enough to clean off the packing grease first and then repack them. but, like i said, these bearings really need to be packed quite well, apparently. often, they don't grease it well enough and it once again fails prematurely.

another option is to get some heavy duty racing bearings, like the kind used by rally and GT teams.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 99, and I'm not sure about the front bearing recall. To this date on my profile on Mysubaru.com it shows no recalls for this car.

To 10th-
Yeah my 36K warranty is up. But even when the 1st bearing went out at 24K they said they wouldn't replace it becuase it's considered a moving part and it was a under a 1 yr wear-n-tear warranty only.
I've heard from the other club that there aren't as many problems with the legacy bearing and I should try that. Also I'd be willing to invest in the rally/racing bearings if that'd work.

Do you think I should take this back to the dealership where I had the work done and complain to them on the installation??? Cause shouldn't there be some kind of warranty on that part? The one I bought when I replaced it last time was genuine Subaru..

H

·
0 Posts
What dealership did you have it done at? If it's going to come out of your own pocket I'd take it over to Mike at Smart Service.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Nick! :D

Had it done at Melody's, big f**in mistake. I wasn't planning on going back there, maybe Carter. Tell me more about this Smart Service place?

Brandee

~sidenote~
did you go cruisin today? The weather rocked!

H

·
0 Posts
Smart Service - www.smartservice4u.com
In Shoreline just an exit or two North of Carter off of I-5. I take 522/Lake City Way and turn on Ballinger where it y's off to Lake Forest Park.

It's run by Mike Corbin, ASE Master Tech, and he's got 3 employees now. They've all worked at various Subaru dealers for a long time, between the 4 of them they've got like 68 years experience working on cars. :)

It's where a lot of folks will go for non-warranty work. Absolutely great customer service.

And if you put one of their license plate frames on, and print out a coupon from their website, you get 10% off (expires 4/30, don't know what's next). They used to have a similar discount for people running around with their stickers on the car.

Melody's = doodie heads. :mad: I don't know if you've got the low-speed fan setting squeak, but they tried to tell me it was leaves in the fan making the noise, so they wouldn't repair it under warranty. When I went to Carter they offered to swap it out no problem. :) A friend of mine's husband used to work at Melody's back when it was Kirkland Subaru. He said that the owners ripped off a bunch of the salesmen... refused to hand over the comission checks. :rolleyes: I refuse to go there for anything other than oilpan crush washers, which if you ask for them 1 at a time, they'll usually give to you for free.

H

·
0 Posts
And to answer your sidenote - :( Nope. Didn't get a chance. Mitch came over and we swapped out his brake lines, then I worked on my truck's front driveshaft, and this evening I took the head off my GL (blown gasket).

I would have liked to have gone out for a drive. :) Maybe tomorrow I'll head up to Bellingham for lunch.

·
Registered
'08 Outback
8 Posts
All of these posts about bad bearings scare the hell out of me. I have 29k on my RS and I haven't noticed anything wrong with my bearings, except for an intermittent humming sound that is most noticeable around 70 mph. I always thought it was either the radiator fan or wind noise. It doesn't affect handling and it's not really that loud. It comes and goes while cruising. Should I expect one or both of my bearings to explode soon or something? BTW, this is my first post, even though I joined about 4 months ago:biggest:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Live-

IN my experience it takes quite a while for a bearing to completely breakdown. (12K to be exact.) You can take your car to the dealership and have them check it out for no cost. If your that worried, I'd do so. Otherwise, pray. :D

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
wheel bearings don't explode, they just get progressively more chewed up. if you have a wheel bearing going, you will know for sure. it will be a loud humming (whum whum whum, etc) sound that gets louder as speed increases. it is unmistakeable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts